Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,077   Online: 1244

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

water temp regulators

Been looking in the archives and I've seen on more than one occasion that a regulator that provides a "low flow" rate may be one that is more suitable to the home darkroom. I've found an Arkay model (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...B_D_Water.html) that provides a 1/2 to 2 1/2 gpm rate, it seems to be the only one I've seen that offers the lower flow rate---just wandering what the thoughts are on this as compared to the many other models that go up to 7 gpm. I know there are many thoughts also out there that it is not needed, save those thoughts please, I'm getting one.

thanks
    Chuck

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Have you considered a DIY solution? I am no plumber but could possibly build one after seeing the one I have.

The below is my sink, I have not hooked it up. The prior owner made it (although he was an engineer); it looks somewhat doable with manual regulator handles??? One for hot, one for cold, then a temp gague....

Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Haas Intellifaucet has low flow rate. And instant "right-on" temperature.

I "wish" I'd gotten one. Got a Leonard instead and still use Kodak tank and tray siphon so I have to run water faster than I would really like.

Don't know how quick the return on investment will be, but I would expect with lower water bills it would pay for itself soon enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On my Powers Fotopanel, I can get just a trickle of water by turning the on-off valve nearly off. However, the temp regulator needs to be re-adjusted at that low flow and it is out side the operating specs of the device. Its fine to trickle it like that for washing, but it does need a faster flow rate (as many of the mechanical thermostatic regulators) to provide a reliable constant temp. for temp-sensitive processes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Haas Intellifaucet has low flow rate. And instant "right-on" temperature.
    Not quite. I have one and really like it but it's not instant right on temperature. It takes it a few seconds to over a minute depending on the temperature changes of the incoming water. If the hot coming in isn't stable yet or the cold coming in isn't stable yet, it hunts around as the incoming water temp ramps up or down. You have to clear the "old" water in the house pipes first so that the incoming water in the hot and cold lines is relatively stable. Same would be true for the mechanical regulators.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It seems the maximum flow rate at 68 deg F that my faucet can provide is about 2 1/2 gpm, that's with the cold water wide open and the hot adjusted to bring in the preferred temperature. I live in a rural area where the water pressure is not as high as I know it is at my mom's house in town, maybe for me a low flow rate model is the way to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ic-racer's experiences with the Powers panel mirror mine. I use very minimal flows (< 1 litre/minute ) when washing prints in my Summitek and find if the flow is too low, temp drops a bit. Imo, there's really no need for anything more than 4 litres/minute.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    Been looking in the archives and I've seen on more than one occasion that a regulator that provides a "low flow" rate may be one that is more suitable to the home darkroom. I've found an Arkay model (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...B_D_Water.html) that provides a 1/2 to 2 1/2 gpm rate, it seems to be the only one I've seen that offers the lower flow rate---just wandering what the thoughts are on this as compared to the many other models that go up to 7 gpm. I know there are many thoughts also out there that it is not needed, save those thoughts please, I'm getting one.

thanks
    Chuck
    this is my prime choice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intellifaucet.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    this is my prime choice
    Thanks Ralph,

Does this unit just plug into the nearest wall outlet?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Chuck,

I have a Powers Fotopanel (which works OK), a Honeywell - Sparco thermostatic mixing valve, and most recently a Haas Intellifacet that Ralph recommends. It is superb. I wish I had bought it first. I use the Intellifacet for precision control and the Sparco for less demanding control when I need two water temperatures at the same time. The Haas has a small transformer/power supply that plugs into a regular wall outlet. A GFI is recommended, but that is a good idea in a wet darkroom anyway. The Haas is worth every penny, IMHO. It has fixed temperature detents on the dial, but they can be adjusted if other temperatures are required, as can the linearity of the dial.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin