Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,699   Online: 1026

Shooter
    Medium Format

Safelights: new bulbs/old bulbs

I have a bunch of safe lights that take a standard 15w tungsten bayonet bulb. The trouble is, these bulbs are hard to come by in the usual UK shops nowadays.

What would their modern equivalent be? Can I use a brighter bulb (since these tube things don't seem to get as hot)?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use CFLs in my safelights without issue. I purchased the lowest output at the store but it was still brighter than the original bulb. Tilting the safelight away from the work area seems to have prevented any problems.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Have a look on Ebay. I bought a two pack of pygmy 15W BC lamps for a couple of pounds including delivery recently. Alternatively, one of my Kodak Beehive safelights has a 3W CFL lamp in it. These seem harder to come by than tungsten lamps, but it runs noticeably cooler, which is probably better for the lifespan of the filter.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    try this link; you can get the bulb in red a very tight waveband of 635 nm.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s%2Fe27-w8.htm
    Last edited by barzune; 12-20-2011 at 09:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added detail

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin