Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,687   Online: 927

Shooter
    Multi Format

ventilation in a temporary darkroom setup

Hi,

I finally have most of the bits and pieces together for a temporary bathroom setup. My only open concern really is the ventilation. My bathroom does not have a window, but a fairly good exhaust fan. Only problem here is I can not switch the fan separate from the light, since this is a rental apartment I would prefer not to mess with the cabling (especially because I do not really know what I am doing when it comes to wiring ).
    How do you with temporary setups solve the ventilation issue?

Thanks in advance
    Dennis
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had the same issue many years ago when I was renting. I removed the bathroom light bulb and plugged in a separate lamp while using the bathroom as a darkroom. Be smart about the lamp location (away from your water and chemicals).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't worry about it. If it gets unbearable switch to a water stop bath. I've run RA-4 with limited ventilation and no problems.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would just unscrew the bulb myself. But nowadays there are more options. One possibility (if it will fit inside the fixture) is to use a remote control socket that screws into the fixture socket; you could then control the lamp independently of the fan, assuming both were energized of course. That's the easiest one I can think of, there are others but they're not necessarily safe in a wet/damp environment...
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can not really unscrew them easily, since there are 5 halogen spots in the ceiling. I will do it if this proves the only feasible alternative though. Thank you for your ideas.
    ---
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used a bathroom for years. Unless you are tray processing film or color prints, it's not that much of a problem. Once film is in a tank and the lights can come on, you can also open the door. When printing, I would open the door between prints to let in an exchange of air; then close the door after I had set up for the next print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I used a bathroom for years. Unless you are tray processing film or color prints, it's not that much of a problem. Once film is in a tank and the lights can come on, you can also open the door. When printing, I would open the door between prints to let in an exchange of air; then close the door after I had set up for the next print.
    Thank you David, I will only do b&w prints and I use dev tanks for film development. I guess I might make to much fuzz about the ventilation issue. Thank you

Dennis
    ---
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rince View Post
    I can not really unscrew them easily, since there are 5 halogen spots in the ceiling. I will do it if this proves the only feasible alternative though. Thank you for your ideas.
    I assumed it was a combination fan/light fixture. Sorry about that.

With five halogens, the challenge factor does increase significantly-
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin