Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,248   Online: 732

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Omega E3 Negative carrier

I am finally setting up an Omega E3 I picked up many years ago. I have a question about the 5x7 negative carrier, and that is: how does it go together? When I got it there was a piece of glass taped to the top half, and nothing on the bottom. There are clips on the top, and springs and clips on the bottom. See attached pictures.

I assume the glass goes on the springs, but the piece I have doesn't fit (but it's probably not original). Then I assume the negative sits on the glass without a top glass, since the clips on the top piece don't look like they could hold a piece of glass. Does this sound right? What is held by the top clips?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20111228-133142.jpg   20111228-133152.jpg   20111228-133159.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks bogus to me. I think the correct one should look like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	43515

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Looks bogus to me. I think the correct one should look like this:
    I think my E3 is older than that. The 4x5 and the 3x4 carriers are the same shape as my 5x7. They all fit perfectly in the enlarger. So I think they are the correct ones. The tab on the one you show would hit the supports on mine.
    Last edited by L Gebhardt; 12-28-2011 at 05:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My mistake. I recall now that there were E3, E4, E5 and E6 enlargers.

This is my guess, based on what I have seen in other carriers. There is a Durst carrier in which you are required to lay the negative on the bottom glass with frame and then lay a piece of glass on top of the negative, then sandwich it all together in the top frame part. So, in this picture, he is holding that free top glass piece with his thumb. Also, see the springs on the top frame that press the glass pieces together.

I'll suggest your frame works in a similar manner. So, you mount a flat glass to the bottom frame and use a free glass on top. Then press it all together with the top metal frame.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 12-28-2011 at 04:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    I am finally setting up an Omega E3 I picked up many years ago. I have a question about the 5x7 negative carrier, and that is: how does it go together? When I got it there was a piece of glass taped to the top half, and nothing on the bottom. There are clips on the top, and springs and clips on the bottom. See attached pictures.

I assume the glass goes on the springs, but the piece I have doesn't fit (but it's probably not original). Then I assume the negative sits on the glass without a top glass, since the clips on the top piece don't look like they could hold a piece of glass. Does this sound right? What is held by the top clips?

the glass goes on the bottom
    and the glassless goes on top.
    i have the same enlarger + carrier ...
    talk to the folks at
    http://www.khbphotografix.com/
    they were going to custom make me a new carrier
    for not much money a few years back ..
    they might be able to tell you what glass works best

good luck !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Kind of odd to have the springs on the bottom from an alignment standpoint, but I bet it works fine. I'll see if I can get some glass cut for it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin