Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,712   Online: 921

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Except for a bigger contact print
    You win.

Shooter
    35mm
    So, first road block. The camera comes stock with a lens board for a number 0 shutter, and the lenses that are available need larger mounting holes. Waiting on lens boards to arrive at the school...

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

Sent the purchasing dept to the welfare queue

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    So, first road block. The camera comes stock with a lens board for a number 0 shutter, and the lenses that are available need larger mounting holes. Waiting on lens boards to arrive at the school...
    Easy, send the purchasing dept' or whoever ordered the gear to the welfare queue - They should have purchased good American equipment like the KB Canham, that goes for 5x4" as well - Canham is made in USA. and I as an Australian would prefer that to buy the Canham if I could afford it - Second thought is they should have ordered the two lenses mounted and checked for alignment - I used to do that job in Oxford in the late 1970s, all it takes is a little thought - Has he ordered DDS?

Now, who was it recently in USA who said he liked sacking people who did not give him a good servicing??
    Last edited by John Austin; 01-12-2012 at 01:47 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    35mm
    It's been nine days since I thought I was bring home the Toyo 8x10, but I finally have it. I also discovered that my Kodak Autographic - with bad bellows - had a working Bausch & Lomb Rapid Rectilinear mounted in a working Kodak ball bearing shutter. A little testing confirmed that this lens will indeed cover 8x10 with the front cell unscrewed. So it was transplanted to the Toyo lensboard, which it fits almost perfectly.

Also found a Fujinon-A 240mm f/9 lens with a Copal shutter lurking in the back of a cupboard in the school studio. Looks like this will cover 8x10, maybe, and it is small enough to fit the lensboard as well.

I set up the camera on a big sturdy tripod, it's sitting in my living room waiting for some daylight. One of my two dogs is absolutely terrified of it! I have four sheets of film loaded, going to shoot them tomorrow.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Film should be called the bright side, It can actually retain detail in the highlights.

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay, the first two images are posted in the technical gallery. Not really working on composition right now as much as simply learning to use the camera. I don't have to buy the film and processing (technically I paid for that when I paid tuition...), so this is the perfect way to learn the mechanics. I do hope my technique improves... anyway comments and criticism are welcome.

The Fujinon lens does cover 8x10 and I've made several exposures with it, they will be processed tomorrow. I could get used to this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well you need to take a self portrait with the 8x10, that is obligatory...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    8x10 is great. My favorite camera to work with, and gives me so much higher percentage of keepers that it is probably my cheapest camera to shoot with.

I think people would take to large format easier if they started with 8x10 rather than 4x5. It seems easier to figure things out with 8x10, and especially easier to see what is going on. Carrying it around is another story of course.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I started on a 5X7 Ansco, found it much easier than 4X5. Composition on the ground glass is easier, the 8X10 even more so. But I like the proportians of the picture better on 5X7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    8x10 is great. My favorite camera to work with, and gives me so much higher percentage of keepers that it is probably my cheapest camera to shoot with.

I think people would take to large format easier if they started with 8x10 rather than 4x5. It seems easier to figure things out with 8x10, and especially easier to see what is going on. Carrying it around is another story of course.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've now made a few contact prints from the 8x10 negatives I've made. I am really in love with the look of such a large contact print. Unfortunately the camera is not mine but the school's, and another student is using it at the moment. I'm just going to have to get an inexpensive 4x5 of my own as an 8x10 is simply out of reach.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin