Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,693   Online: 824

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for an 8x10 monorail, particularly an older one. Monorails usually sell for less than a folding field camera and you might find a deal somewhere. My 8x10 Burke & James Grover monorail ended up costing, like, $100 after I sold off the stuff that came with it.

For inexpensive film holders, get some older wooden ones. Everybody else likes the newer plastic ones but the woodies are often lighter in weight and much less expensive and out of the 30 or so I've bought over the past few years, one had a slight light leak due to a cracked slide. Call Jim at Midwest Photo (www.mpex.com) and ask him if he can help. Sometimes there's older but perfectly usable stuff in the back room he can let go at a good price.

MIke
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    35mm
    Cambo SCX 4x5 monorail on the way. I have a 105mm Tominon in a Copal Press shutter for macro (thanks John!) and a B&L Rapid Rectilinear in a Kodak shutter. Sold all my Nikon lenses to get this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations on going after what you want. This is very impressive. It's especially cool that you are going so strongly against the tide of digital lemmings. Large format intimidates the heck out of me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    ... there's nothing quite like an 8x10 contact print.
    This really is true. One of my classmates was looking at my 8x10 contact prints, and he was practically speechless. And my prints (and negatives!) aren't anything special. In the hands of someone who really knows what they are doing... wow. Just look at one of Edward Weston's prints.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin