Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,747   Online: 869

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Home Made Lens On Speed Graphic

I am not the first to have done this and I'm sure I won't be the last but it was fun and I intend to try a few more shots with it. I had a lens from an old desk magnifier and a brass barrel which just happened to fit it perfectly. So a spot of glue and a Speed graphic lens board later I was in business. The focal length worked out at around 8 inches which meant a working aperture of f4. Because this wasn't going to be the best corrected of lenses I felt that a lens hood would be a mandatory accessory. I am very proud of my low tech solution. The image was made on Wephota Ortho film f4 at 15th sec and developed in Fotospeed FD10 for 6 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF7750.JPG   DSCF7756.JPG   Sheds Jan2011001.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice! I got a Speed Graphic not long ago to use with some old brass barrel lenses I've picked up. Such fun stuff. Now to finally find the time to use it more!

I like your custom hood too. You should sell them on eBay!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wow, that lens is sweet! Go do some portraits with it!

Could you make me one of those lens hoods?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the Tuna Chunks lens hood. Are those available from B&H?

Very nice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WOW! Is that an original Stevotar?

Pretty cool!
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oooh dreamy....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Steve;
    What is the viewfinder that you have mounted on the Speed Graphic? Very interesting, Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the idea of selling Tuna Chunks lens hoods on Ebay however I may limited to two lengths and one width fitting unless I change supermarket!
    As for naming the lens I like this idea. My surname is Salmons so I really like the sound of 'Samovar'.
    Interesting you should ask about the finder Steven. I have never come across one like this before and it was a contributing reason for buying the camera which was an impulse buy from a dealer I know. When he showed me the camera and I looked through the finder the image was very blurred. He agreed. Almost by chance I tried without my glasses on and hey presto, a lovely clear image. So obviously the finder has a fixed dioptre correction and equally obviously I was meant to buy it.
    That said it is not a perfect framing for 5x4 having the width of a 150mm coverage but the height of a 180mm coverage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just my style! Keep it up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the tuna can hood too. You can increase contrast/quality further if you recess the lens in the tube and line the inside of the tuna can and barrel black. That gray finish in the tuna can is making lots of general flare. If it's not convenient to recess things, blacking the interior will be the best bang for the buck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin