Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,717   Online: 883

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tessar View Post
    What Ian Grant said. I've been using Graphics handheld for decades, and after a short while using the optical finder I found the pull-out sports finder was way better and easier. The sports finder also adjusts for parallax, there's no need for masks and you can compose with both eyes open, framing a little loose, a good idea using any kind of rangefinder camera.
    Thank you for the advice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    definitely get the mask----them parallax adjustments in the front don't do anything for me...what I use is the little triangles IN the mask---the mask is set for full frame at infinity with the proper lens...when you get close up like 4' or otherwise portrait distance, I've found the triangles give you a better idea of how the film sees it...in other words--you compose as if the viewfinder is exactly on target, then, for up close, you compensate by moving the camera so the borders of the side and bottom now align with the tips of the triangles and you've just corrected for the parallax.

I've never seen this written anywhere but have discovered it through use....

that being said---the peep sight/wire finder is ALWAYS aligned in the vertical direction and it is adjustable for distance, and it's easier to use....yeah...them other ones are kind of a waste....except MAYBE if you got a TELEphoto lens...then the wire finder won't line up right...it'll show you more than the mask will. but then you still have to correct....maybe easier in that case to put a mask on the wire
    Thanks for your input, John. I'll definitely try getting the mask & see how the triangles work out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I prefer to use the wire finder when I use my almost identical Crown Graphic hand held, I do the same with my Super Graphic.

The eyepiece on the optical finder has a distance scale and rotates to allow for parallax ideally you need to set the camera up on a tripod and using the focus screen check out the optical finder.

Ian

Ian, thanks for pointing out parallax correction. I've totally overlooked that. However, some of the mis-aligned shots that I took were definitely taken at more than 6-8 feet away, so I'm not sure if parallax is really the culprit. Anyway, I've tried using the parallax compensation dial/distance scale on the back of my optical viewfinder. I see it has marks for 6ft, 8ft, and so on till infinity. The dial rotates fine, and when I rotate it there's a circular mask (?) that I can see rotating inside the rear of the optical viewfinder. But, I don't see how that rotating circular mask does anything. For example, I look through the viewfinder then I rotate the parallax dial..nothing happens! The view doesn't change or anything. Is this normal? Or more accurately, is this the way it's supposed to work?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    Look carefully at the eyepiece of the optical finder, see how the small lens is mounted off center? At infinity the lens is pointed down and to the left, as rotated to 15ft, 8ft, 6ft, the lens moves up and to the right. This is for parallax correction. If you are mechanically inclined the front standard with the sports wire finder can be serviced, do not force anything!! If not, take it to a repairman and have it serviced. Why damage your nice camera! Good luck, Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    snederhiser: Yes, I see that the circular small opening in the eyepiece of the optica finder rotates when the parallax correction dial is rotated from 6-8-15ft then to infinity, but when one looks through the optical finder when rotating the parallax correction dial, should the view that one sees also change? That's what has me perplexed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    First of all is the lens actually moving when the eyepiece is adjusted? If not the unit is faulty. The camera needs to be set on a tripod and focusing on a target to detect parallax. Second is, do you wear eyeglasses? I do and have to remove them when using the optical finder, sports wire finder, and prisms. You need to get the eyeball close as you can to see the proper framing of the subject. Just a thought and good luck, Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi again, thanks for your reply snederhiser.

Yes, the lens in the optical finder is moving when the eyepiece parallax dial is adjusted. And no, I don't wear glasses.

I have yet to put the Crown up on a tripod & check the framing via the GG. Will do this sooner or later. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    altair is it the metal frame of the sports viewfinder stuck or is it the wire frame which pops out of the metal frame?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails speeed graphic viewer.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reciprocity: thanks, that's an excellent picture, btw. On my Crown, its the wire frame which is supposed to pop out of the metal frame that is stuck. I can't do what you show in the photos you attached.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You won't see the view change when using the optical finder unless camera is mounted on a strong tripod, and aimed at a target. a target like a vertical X on a piece of wallboard/plywood/wall. Mount board exactly 15 feet from the film plane, then turn the paralax control through the various ditances, and you will see the picture in the viewfinder shift to slightly different places on the target.
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    snederhiser: Yes, I see that the circular small opening in the eyepiece of the optica finder rotates when the parallax correction dial is rotated from 6-8-15ft then to infinity, but when one looks through the optical finder when rotating the parallax correction dial, should the view that one sees also change? That's what has me perplexed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin