Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,154   Online: 863

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Schneideritis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Despite everyone saying it has no effect on image quality etc. (which it hasn't) I have a 240mm f/5.6 Symmar-S I was trying to sell and it has the Schneideritis affliction and it certainly put people off.

- Tony
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agree. It would certainly put me off as a potential buyer. I guess this is just another one of those irritating things I'll have to live with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Stuff get's old..

Japanese (at least Nikons in my experience, don't cloud up, and dont have unreliable shutter mechanisms-- there is the FM2 that can be cagey... but if it mis-behaves throw it out and buy another!).
    Are you thinking of the FG? FM2's are one of the most durable cameras ever built. Gawd knows mine has been through hell and back, still accurate, the one camera I would never hesitate to take ANYWHERE if I really needed the picture. In 25 years it has only had two lens mounted on it, a 105 2.5 and a 35 2.0.

Wrong forum I know.

Other datum points, my Fuji 150 6.3 I have had slightly longeer than the Nikon, no degradation with either optical nor mechanical (Seiko) mechanisms.

I would not hesitate to buy a Schneideritis lens if the price was right and I needed it.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    @ jupiter... fellow thread de-railier. I have had trouble with the FM series used with MD-12's they get wonky.
    Shot a whole banquet in 1989 with one that had a bumm winding mechanism... the shutter was fine... it just stopped advancing film.. and it's not the only one I knew to have the issue again heavily used with an MD12.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Schneideritis is a lot like chicken-pox; it'll bother you once but then it's never a problem again.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

My lens set also has. . .

My view camera ens sets are from the 1960s and many have Schneideritis - However, it dies not stop them from making superb negatives for breathtakingly strong, beautiful images and superb prints - (Without being unduly modest)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Schneideritis is actually good to have on your lenses. When you blow the opportunity for a great photo, you'll have something to blame it on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All I'm saying is this should not happen to an expensive, precision piece of equipment, at least for a damn long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    All I'm saying is this should not happen to an expensive, precision piece of equipment, at least for a damn long time.
    You're correct. Mine showed no trace of it until they were about 30 years old. Two out of three of my Linhof select Schneiders have it, and since they are due for shutter overhauls, I might repaint the things. Then again, I might not. Depends on how much time I have for that project.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Arrgh! Your outrage is badly mis-directed.

First of all, the problem isn't unique to Schneider. Boyer lenses' edge blacking is more prone, in my experience, to bubbling up than Schneiders.

Secondly, Boyeritis has no effect on lens' performance.

If you want to get mad about poor choice of materials, get mad about Rodenstock's and Voigthlaender's choice of uv-curing lens cement. Entirely too many Rodenstock lenses from the early '60s to the mid-70s and nearly all Apo-Skopars have major separation. Come to think of it, I have a 25-15 converter for my 25/1.4 Cine Ektar II with such horrible Newton's rings that it is completely unusable. So get mad at Kodak too.

If you want to get really mad, blow your stack at the mythical long-dead DIN standard that Rodenstock and Schneider use to justify their marketing claim that their taking lenses for general photography are apochromats.

Stop ranting about things you can't change and get on with building your LF kit and learning to use it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin