Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,809   Online: 843

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Schneideritis

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    110mm SSXL sold on eBay yesterday for about $1,100. That's hardly a "few hundred dollars" less than new.

Still, it's your money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, ok, points taken everyone. I'm certainly not rich so I guess I'll have to get more serious about used stuff on ebay etc. I don't really know what I'm doing when I'm on there (or other e-conomy sites) so I get intimidated and overwhelmed quickly. But you're all making pretty good sense so thanks for the help. Always good to get some new perspective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Shouldn't they have corrected this by now? For this kind of money, I expect these things to be virtually flawless - cosmetically too.
    Yep... exactly.

This is why I don't buy Schneider lenses.

I don't trust any company that totally ignores a problem that is so prevalent over such a long period of time.

My Rodenstock Apos work just as well, without any problems mechanical, optical, or cosmetic.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format

$4,900 lens

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

My most expensive lens (when new) listed for $4,900 in 1982 when the manufacturer went out of business. I got mine a bit over a year ago for $200, including delivery. And it is in good order.
    To Dan Fromm

I'm just curious what kind of lens cost that much in 1982.

Please tell us more about the lens.

Thanks,
    Last edited by chung; 06-03-2012 at 11:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Holga
    This all sounds familiar. I too was a Rodenstock stale wart for close on 10 years but when I started looking for specific lens characteristics I soon found my choice in "Rodies" was very limited and expensive! So, for the first time, about a year ago I bought a Schneider 150 XL - new. The equivalent Rhodie was too expensive. More recently, I had a similar urge to get a 90mm XL for 4x10 work - the best(?) lens I could find to cover that format. This time I looked at fleabay and after a couple of abortive bidding attempts finally grabbed a relatively new (2003) lens for slightly more than 1/3 of the price brand new one.
    The point, in case you hadn't already guessed it is you severely limit your choices by selecting one brand over others or only buying new. You have to take the plunge!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chung View Post
    To Dan Fromm

I'm just curious what kind of lens cost that much in 1982.

Please tell us more about the lens.

Thanks,
    900/10 Boyer Apo-Saphir, a process lens. The 1500/12.5 Apo-Saphir listed for $11,452.60 Heliar type lenses, nearly distortion- and aberration-free over a narrow angle.

IMO dialyte type Apo Nikkors, also process lenses, are slightly better at apertures larger than f/16. I can't speak to other dialyte type process lenses, e.g., Apo-Artars and Apo-Ronars, 'cos I haven't used many of them. No Apo-Artars, a couple of 150/9 Apo-Ronars (superb over a narrow angle, won't cover 4x5). I also can't speak to their prices in the '80s 'cos I don't have price lists.

I do know that long process lenses have always been fairly expensive. Big pieces of glass, ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Presuming you use/store it properly, doesn't Schneider have a lifetime warranty ?
    So did Gitzo.
    Try mentioning that warranty to them now & watch them laugh in your face !

Why do we get gray hair? Or bald? Or our brides get wrinkles? Is Schneideritis all that much different?

I actually prefer Kodaks, Goerz and Wollys with those cleaning whisps and Schneiders with Schneideritis.
    Unblemished Rodenstocks and Fujis are OK too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Schneideritus is proof that you have a genuine Schneider lens. Take it apart and repaint the edges if it really bothers you, RustOleum flat black works well.

John, I like my lenses without wisps, when reasonably possible.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    same here!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin