Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,634   Posts: 1,648,103   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

240 G-Claron in barrel with NO IRIS MECHANISM

Sometimes I think I'd have no luck at all if it weren't for bad luck.

I bought a "very good to excellent" 240 G-Claron on roll-the-dice-bay and there is no iris mechanism in the barrel. WTF? This is the first lens I've bought "in barrel" and I cannot believe this is normal or standard. Even though my expectations have occasionally been too high in the past (I expected my first marriage would last), am I wrong to expect the iris mechanism to be included? Please enlighten me.
    DanQuan.com

"The world is full of sloppy Bohemians and their work betrays them.
    Weston

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not standard. If the seller didn't state that there was no iris, you were had.

If you don't want to keep the cells (they'll screw right into a normal ordinary #1 shutter), raise hell immediately with the seller. If you don't get satisfaction quickly, raise hell with eBay and (if you paid by PayPal and/or with a credit card) with PayPal and/or your credit card company.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last year I won an *Bay auction for a 203 Ektar lens. The description quite clearly stated that the lens was an Ektar. I received a 203 Kodak Anastigmat instead. Uncoated and no doubt a different catalogue number it was not an Ektar. I raised a stink with *Bay and put up a bad review of the vendor. He panicked and refunded a 1/3 of the price to get the review dropped. I ended up with a good lens at a fair price but not what I had expected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So when you move the aperture ring, nothing happens?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    So when you move the aperture ring, nothing happens?
    Correct. Well, I can feel some clicks, but that is all.
    Last edited by Dan Quan; 01-27-2012 at 05:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DanQuan.com

Weston

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Not standard. If the seller didn't state that there was no iris, you were had.

If you don't want to keep the cells (they'll screw right into a normal ordinary #1 shutter), raise hell immediately with the seller. If you don't get satisfaction quickly, raise hell with eBay and (if you paid by PayPal and/or with a credit card) with PayPal and/or your credit card company.
    I knew that, but I just wanted confirmation. Thanks.
    DanQuan.com

Weston

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BainDarret View Post
    Last year I won an *Bay auction for a 203 Ektar lens. The description quite clearly stated that the lens was an Ektar. I received a 203 Kodak Anastigmat instead. Uncoated and no doubt a different catalogue number it was not an Ektar. I raised a stink with *Bay and put up a bad review of the vendor. He panicked and refunded a 1/3 of the price to get the review dropped. I ended up with a good lens at a fair price but not what I had expected.
    Yep, I'll get on this in short order.
    DanQuan.com

Weston

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like a Schneider B-I enlarging lens barrel which should have an aperture mechanism. These are actually called "Iris Mounts" in the Schneider literature. Looks like someone pilfered the mechanism, which is a little curious as it looks perfectly mint condition otherwise. That is too bad because the barrel has the correct aperture ring for that lens.

This is what it should look like on the inside. Even wide open the blades are visible:
    Last edited by ic-racer; 01-27-2012 at 05:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks like a Schneider B-I barrel which should have an aperture mechanism. Looks like someone pilfered the mechanism.
    I am so upset my head is spinning.

In the last two weeks KEH has lost the spacing ring to my 8 1/4" Gold Rim Dagor and now this. I picked a hell-ova time to quit drinkin.
    DanQuan.com

Weston

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks like a Schneider B-I enlarging lens barrel which should have an aperture mechanism. These are actually called "Iris Mounts" in the Schneider literature. Looks like someone pilfered the mechanism, which is a little curious as it looks perfectly mint condition otherwise. That is too bad because the barrel has the correct aperture ring for that lens.

This is what it should look like on the inside. Even wide open the blades are visible:
    Now that is incredibly useful. Thanks.
    DanQuan.com

Weston

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin