Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,365   Online: 813

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help with lens info

I've wanted to try vintage lenses for quite awhile. I received this one yesterday. It's engraved " Faredrite 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Rapid Rectilinear. I'm planning on using it on my 5x7. There's a slot for Waterhouse Stops. Anyone have any idea how old it is? Any other info would be appreciated, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KGrHqJHJBIE72JCqFSBPGK7DlE-g60_3.JPG  

I have a similar lens that dates to 1895. These were very common lenses and turn up frequently. They were older technology at that time and less expensive to produce, so they were popular. Mine is a less-than-spectacular performer, but I think it may have been disassembled and reassembled incorrectly at some point in its life. Rapid Rectilinear lenses generally are decent performers. (I own a different RR lens that is quite sharp.) They tend to be a little soft at the corners, but since you are using it for a smaller format than it was built for, that may not be a problem. Figure your maximum aperture to be about f/8. I find that darkslide material from a broken slide makes good material for fabricating Waterhouse stops. Have fun with it - there's nothing like using an old lens.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Peter. I'm looking forward to mounting it on a board, and seeing what it can do.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin