Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,057   Posts: 1,611,215   Online: 802

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Calculating aperture of Petzval lenses?

I have a magic lantern Petzval I want to use with slide film, and to do so, i'm going to need a more accurate aperture measurement than what i've been working with.

With a multi-element lens with the elements having plenty of airspace between them, where do I measure from?

Here is what I did, I racked the lens back so it was sitting about half and half in the lensboard. Then, I measured from the ground glass for the lensboard (middle of the lens-ish) and took the measurement (5") then I took a measurment of the front diameter of the lens (1.6").

5" = 127mm
    1.6" = 40.64mm

127 / 40.64 = f 3.12

Did I do this correctly? Are there better methods to calculate the aperature of multi-element lenses such as this? Can anyone offer improvments to what I did?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rather than calculate, why not measure?

How about using the same camera that you are going to mount the lens on - but mount a 'normal' lens of similar focal length. Shoot a test scene or test card at 1/2 stop increments (or less if you can) - mount the Petzval lens, shoot the same scene - compare the negs and see which is closest.

This way you take into account lens transmission as well as optical geometry. More information could be gained by comparing a colour chart - as an uncoated petsval may have a very different colour rendition to a modern coated optic.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That it does. On a very saturated film it renders a very nice desaturate color palate.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you are pretty much doing it right ...
    this video might help
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIFNdfjem18&feature=user

thanks jason !

have fun
    john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin