Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,049   Online: 944

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Prontar Shutter Sticking

While I was recently out traveling the Prontar shutter on my Super-Angulon 121 began to stick. First it began sticking open at the 1 sec. setting and then progressed up to the 1/4 sec setting. So I either shoot at bulb or faster than an 1/8th. Is it worth getting the shutter repaired (assuming it can be) or should I junk it and buy a new shutter?

Cheers,

James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by James M. Bleifus
    While I was recently out traveling the Prontar shutter on my Super-Angulon 121 began to stick. First it began sticking open at the 1 sec. setting and then progressed up to the 1/4 sec setting. So I either shoot at bulb or faster than an 1/8th. Is it worth getting the shutter repaired (assuming it can be) or should I junk it and buy a new shutter?

Cheers,

James
    James, sounds like your Prontor shutter needs a CLA.

Carol Miller in Whittier, CA charges $45.00 for a CLA and recalibrate (where no parts replacement is required). She does a super job. She is currently overhauling a Ilex #5 for me. She works on all shutters of this general type: Alphax, Betax, Compur, Copal, Ilex,Prontor, etc.

You can contact her at: flutotscamera@earthlink.net
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hello James.
    This is quite a common problem with leaf type shutters generally, particularly if unused for some time. The good news is that it is a very simple matter for a camera mechanic to put right and is not costly. Certainly not a bin job.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks you guys. I'll send it in for a repair. What a relief not to have to buy a new shutter.

Cheers,

James

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin