Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,467   Posts: 1,597,464   Online: 772

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why get on people and say "why would you...."
    People make choices for strange and reasonable reasons.
    OP just asked about stocking up. I say yes... (color). IF that floats your boat and you have the cash... stock up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    People make choices for strange and reasonable reasons.
    OP just asked about stocking up. I say yes... (color). IF that floats your boat and you have the cash... stock up!
    +1 totally agree

Do what you gotta do to increase the chance that you'll get the shots you want to get.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You folks are awesome. This is why I love this forum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I REALLY want to stick with Ektar 100 for high quality scanning.
    Well let me suggest taking a long, hard look at the fuji 160ns, I think you'll find that it scans at least as well if not better. And it is freshly available in 8x10.

The case for ektar is much stronger, I am led to believe, for ra4 printing. Scanned ektar actually seems to need substantial colour correction in the blues- this has been my experience with it. Several here have said that, despite that, it prints beautifully via ra4, so... oddly enough Kodak seems to have given us a film that doesn't scan as well as one would expect, given the market direction. (I would have thought film manufacturers would be looking to introduce films that scan easier, hence my comments to Ilford about introducing xp2 in sheet sizes.... but I digress)
    Last edited by keithwms; 03-02-2012 at 03:50 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: led not lead :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keith... Thank you!! I'll research Fuji's 160NS. I've been out of the game for awhile now so there's a lot of new information for me to absorb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What do you scan it on... my imacon only goes slightly larger than 4x5?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What do you scan it on... my imacon only goes slightly larger than 4x5?
    Nothing yet... thinking about an Epson 4990 but have recently been following a thread in which one individual is using an older DSLR with a high-quality flat field macro lens to take multiple images to stitch together. I'll bet a Sigma SD1 with a great macro lens would rock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh the 4990 rocks! Great purchase. I use that and I drum scan only if I really need it. DO NOT try to rephotograph with a DSLR- massive waste of time, unless you only need a basic image for web. The epson will demolish a DSLR on a copy stand, at much lower cost. The only issue is that you need a good PC with a lot of RAM and disk space because what you'll want to do is multiscan to reduce scan noise and then save a large high bit-depth file, initially, and then downsize that. Once you know what you're doing, you can easily generate very clean 100+ mp files from 5x7.

We don't discuss these issues in depth on APUG... ask over at hybridphoto.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, I don't know... maybe because this is supposed to be an analog forum, and his question involves a hybrid approach with increasingly difficult to source materials and digital methods to complete at the least, with what can otherwise be done more cheaply and reliably fully digitally at most. Or maybe he just wants to claim his method is classic while the result, the only thing people are actually likely to care about, is clearly digital.

Oh, and by the way, he asked "Is There ANY Reason To NOT Buy a 5x7 Today... COLOR NEGS Only?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been out of the game for a long time now. Maybe my ignorance should tell me just to step down and forget about it...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin