Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,487   Posts: 1,644,769   Online: 861

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hold on ROL, he didn't say he is interested in digital output only. Like many of us, he expressed an interest in the scan option. One of the major strengths of color film is the ability to go with traditional output and also the scan route. Yes, we've inappropriately discussed scanning, and for that I am sure we'll all say twenty Hail Ansels, but he did not say that he only wants to do digital.

Let's not put words in people's mouths, please; I have a scanner simply so that I can more easily share stuff online.

ONF, don't be put off, just bear in mind that we generally avoid discussing digital stuff here on APUG.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hear you, Keith. I forgot how whole-heartedly this forum is analog. In my youth I was fully analog too... but then again... digital didn't exist back then. Agfapan, Rodinal, selenium toner, and Ilford Gallery were my weapons of mass construction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Oh, I don't know... maybe because this is supposed to be an analog forum, and his question involves a hybrid approach with increasingly difficult to source materials and digital methods to complete at the least, with what can otherwise be done more cheaply and reliably fully digitally at most. Or maybe he just wants to claim his method is classic while the result, the only thing people are actually likely to care about, is clearly digital.

Oh, and by the way, he asked "Is There ANY Reason To NOT Buy a 5x7 Today... COLOR NEGS Only?"
    I "scanned" the thread and there seemed to be nay-saying outside of hybrid stuff, regarding 5x7 use.

IF I create on film it stays photo-chemical through the end.

IF I scan film/print it is ONLY because a CUSTOMER needs HALFTONE DOTS! for reproduction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't start this thread for people to argue with each other about hybrid photography. I neglected to remember how RABIDLY analog this forum is on which I was posting. I'll not make the mistake again. In fact, I'll probably not post here ever again, thank you very much!!

MODS... please just close this thread to avoid further discord.

INTERESTING... the angry post which prompted my reply above magically disappeared. The MODS seem to be watching out for forum members' best interests!! Now I feel guilty about my comments above...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi old-n-feeble

make sure you have a place lined up that will process
    5x7 color negative film. i live in rhode island and i have to ship out of state
    to have anything bigger than 120 color ( e6 or c41 ) processed.
    i too like 5x7, its a great format ..

there are a handful of color options out there, ( maybe not ektar like you want, but others )
    and some of them may require you get ir goggles, or a jig and trim 8x10 sheets down to 5x7 ...

getting metric film holders is a great idea, they are the same size outside as 5x7 so they fit in a 5x7 camera ..
    there are additional films available in that size that aren't in 5x7 ...

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Large Format
    I posted a poll here to special order 5x7 color negative film - please vote:
    https://www.massdrop.com/vote/5x7-color-negative-film
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Augenstudios for opening the votes. I voted for all three. I prefer Portra than Ektar, but anything available is great.

Back to topic: I recently purchased a Chamonix 5x7 Horizontal Only camera which is my first view camera. The reason to choose 5x7 is multiply:
    1. Large film size means more resolution and more subtle tonality.
    2. I like the elongated format compared to the squarish 4x5. And for urban landscape or streets, I think 5x7 is more aesthetically appealing to me.
    3. with a rotatable 4x5 back, I can still shoot 4x5, both horizontal and vertical. And the 5x7 Cham is only 4 pounds, even lighter than many 4x5s. It is larger, more beautiful, and more stable in my opinion.
    4. It can accommodate a 6x17 back, so it is good for panorama use.
    5. the larger ground glass makes it easier to see and to compose.

Overall I think 5x7 gives me more usable choices.

George

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    5x7 color film has always been a pain in the butt to get. If someone is determined, they can simply cut their own from 8x10; but now even that is only being periodically cut. Lucky I've got a freezer. I've always loved the proportions of 5x7, but my bigger concern is not the film per se. Nobody in this area has 5x7 holders for the dip n' dunk machines. But everyone still in the game has 4x5 and 8x10 C-41 and E-6 capacity.
    But chrome film in sheets in nearing extinction anyway. Ektar and Portra whatever are very different films. And you'd really need both to satisfy
    anything resembling a full spectrum of applications. But in certain ways, these are the best color neg films ever made.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Keith Canham is still working on a custom order of Ektar 100 in 5x7. He actually regularly organizes custom orders of ULF film from Kodak in various sizes, including the exotic ones like 12x20 and 14x17. So it can be had, just not at the drop of a hat. You just need to plan (and budget) ahead so you can place an order for multiple boxes and then stash it. I bought two boxes of Portra 160 in 5x7 the last time B&H had it in stock. I would have bought more were it not $300+ a box (50 sheets). And now that I've tried C-41 at home (caveat: I have a Jobo, which makes life sooooo much easier), I'm not worried about having a lab locally to process it - C-41 at home, once you have temperature control worked out, is a piece of cake. If you don't have a Jobo, you can build a tempering box out of a large plastic tub, an aquarium heater, and an aquarium circulating pump. Keeping C-41 chems within 1 degree of accuracy is then pretty easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I just noticed all the hubbub because of my initial post (apparently not moderated into oblivion?). FTR, I am not rabid anything, including analog, except perhaps common sense. It is very telling that I cannot post a direct opinion without such criticism. There is no point in me posting anything either as subjective or objective observation that doesn't go along with the crowd any longer. Very, very telling, and shameful that I cannot have my own take on the limited information given in the OP. I wasn't even aware of the seeds of discord being sown, 2 years hence. I really thought O&F was seeking all views, and mine was as valuable as others. Believe me, O&F, I feel the very same as you about ever posting here again, if for different reasons. You people need to get out more.
    You just responded to a 2.5 year old post.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin