Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,255   Online: 812

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Is There ANY Reason To NOT Buy a 5x7 Today... COLOR NEGS Only?

Per the title...

I know that 5x7 film is less popular and, therefore fewer film makers are supporting it. All I'll ever want to shoot is Extar 100 because post-processing will be digital.

I performed a 'shopping' searched for "Kodak Ektar film" without the "quotes" and nothing came up. So my concern is any 5x7 camera I buy (for my needs) will be relegated to 6x17cm roll film and 4x5. Fortunately this camera has a generous 7 inches of rear slide so I could turn the 4x5 adapter back vertically and take 3 images overlapped 1/2 inch and create stitched 5x9 or so. Horizontally I can stitch 3 pieces to get a 4x11 using a wider, more comfortable overlap.

So... is 5x7 Ektar NLA? Anything else available that compares to Ektar 100?

** Posted on LFP.info also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently purchased a 5x7 back and portra 160. But I think you have to cut down any other emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    From what I heard, they stopped cutting Ektar 100 in sheet sizes. Sucks, I loved it in 4x5.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    From what I heard, they stopped cutting Ektar 100 in sheet sizes. Sucks, I loved it in 4x5.
    Still seems readily available in 4x5 in the UK at least.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Look at the Japan Exposures site. There is 5x7 Fuji currently available. For now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    What?!?!? I have seen nothing to that effect, and Kodak's site says "Now available in 4x5" and 8x10" sheet format"

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't get it, unless you totally love the film process through and through. Why use 5X7 if you can't get color film anymore, and then intend only to scan it, not print it? 4X5 makes a hell of a lot more sense for any number of reasons, at this time. Film availability, lenses, more DOF. Less weight, expense and hassle all the way around.

And I shoot 5X7 in LF exclusively. But not for color. I have cut down expired 8X10 Kodak Ektachrome 100 VS positive successfully. That's a lot of trouble, for little or no benefit, if you're not actually going to engage the process and print the film yourself. The last I was aware, 5X7 color film is not even available in the US anymore. IMO, color has become the domain of digital.

I would conclude the reverse, given your stated desire. I don't think there is any reason to to buy a 5X7 today, color anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems I'll be stitching multiple exposures... 2-4x5 for 4x8 or 3-4x5 for 4x10, 4x12 and 5x10. Stitching is more work but "most" photos won't suffer from it if planned carefully and executed well. It'll be enough of a challenge carrying a somewhat large 4x5 (also has a 5x7 back) into the field so 8x10 is more-or-less out of the equation. I chose this particular 4x5/5x7 for its generous 7" of rear shift to allow wide stitching. I just wish 5x7 Ektar was available. I know I can cut it to 5x7 but convincing a lab that I'll never mix-up types of film may be a challenge. If I CAN convince a lab to trust me then shooting 5x7 cut from 8x10 does expand my horizons up to 5x12 (two sheets of 5x7) which is where I really want to be!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would advise thinking about eventually getting a 5x8 back, which of course allows you to do a single cut on 8x10 and get two frames. I got a custom 5x8 back from Shen Hao for something like $250.... very nicely made, and I think my holders came from chamonix.

The other thing is that there may still be some 5" colour aerial film floating around out there, keep your eyes open. I have quite alot of b&w 5" and 9.5" stuff, and a fair amount of 70mm portra. Something to think about. As I mentioned in some thread and in my apug blog, it's really easy to make a paper insert to put roll film into a sheet holder. Interesting things can result.

If you feel strongly about the aspect ratio, then make it happen! My decision on 5x8 was less guided by the (golden!) ratio than by practical considerations.

And yes, Japan Exposures still has a lot of 5x7 options.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I REALLY want to stick with Ektar 100 for high quality scanning. I like to keep my options open and a 5x8 back is definitely a good option. Heck, the camera I'm buying would allow up to a 5x14 with just 2 sheets of film!! However, the camera I just sent a rather large down-payment for doesn't have that option. It's a Canham 4x5/5x7 Traditional (wood). I'm absolutely certain I cannot afford for K.B. Canham to custom-build a 5x8 back for this camera... as much as I'd LOVE to have one.

I do feel VERY strongly about aspect ratios. I strongly gravitate toward 2:3 and 1:2 images but "sometimes" prefer 1:3 or even 1:4 but the latter ratios are relatively rare.
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 03-02-2012 at 02:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin