Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,465   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Mike,

Thanks for the response. I'll take your advice on fixing the shift/swing feature. As for fixing the tilt, finding the hardware is going to be a tough one.
    Best,
    Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I can make (draw) a pattern for the brass fittings for the lens tilt, they aren't complex and would be easy to have made. As I said before I doubt it had front swing particularly as I think it was originally a later grey model made after the US Government seized Agfa Ansco and manufactire was moved from Bingham.

My guess is someone stripped it down to remove the paint-work to refinish it as natural wood-work and lost some of the fittings during the process.

I'll see what I can do over Easter.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Ian,

You're great! I've looked on the internet for other hardware that might work and it's tough. I even thought of installing a friction type hinge where I can loosen to tilt then lock the standard down. If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate it.

No need to do it over Easter. Just when ever you can get to it. I took my camera out in the field last Friday and shot with the camera and I'm getting used to tilt with the back. For landscapes it's fine. But when I shoot tabletop work, the distortion can be a problem. You have a great Easter!

Best,
    Don

Shooter
    Large Format
    I took several digital snaps of the front hardware on my 8X10 Ansco, and a couple of the 8X10 and 5X7 together:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/78824315@N00/
    The front tilt hardware for both format cameras seems to be the same size, so if you can find a 5X7 with bad bellows or some other defect, you can use the same bits on your 8X10. I'm not sure, but it may be you will need to take the bellows loose from the front standard in order to tilt the frame enough to access the screws holding the tilt hardware in place. Looking at the picture of your Ansco, it looks like you may have one of the metal plates still in place. The thickness of the tilt plates is 1/16". A magnet doesn't stick to the metal, so I'm guessing they are made of sheet brass, then plated. You could leave them brass finish. Cutting the curved part of the plates out with a jeweler's saw and filing smooth wouldn't be very difficult. If you could find an amateur machinist who could mill the curve, it would give a nicer finish.

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Len,

Those are very helpful tips and pics!

Best,
    Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin