Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,267   Posts: 1,534,339   Online: 749

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Are 8x10 darkslides interchangeable?

I need to replace some darkslides on my 8x10 Lisco Regal II holders and I'm wondering if darkslides from other modern makes/models will do (e.g., Fidelity elite, Lisco Regal)?

Also, has anyone tried the the all metal 8x10 darkslides advertised on that auction site?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Pasto; 03-30-2012 at 04:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The sheaths that fit Double Darkslides aren't all interchangeable. Some are close enough but you'd need to try them. All my 10x8 DDS are loaded or I'd try for you as I have quite a mixture of makes.

I've found it is possible to repair cracked and damaged sheaths fairly easily but it needs a little work.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian. My Lisco Regals that need replacement actually have parts missing so I don't think they're repairable. I thought of picking up used Fidelity darkslides to replace them with but I'm not sure if they'll fit properly.
    Last edited by Pasto; 03-30-2012 at 04:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought they were but ran into some that were too wide by about 2mm and then some that were too short by about the same. No specific info, I'm afraid, just a warning not to assume.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was repairing/rennovating some 5x4 DDS last month and found even larger differances between the sheaths and so would expect similar variations with 10x8 DDS. One sheath was 1/2 an inch too short so wouldn't quite cover the end of the sheet film in the wrong holder.

It would be relatively easy to make new sheaths, there's threads here on APUG and also on the LFPI on making film/plate holders and sources of materials for the sheaths.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have sheaths in my old Rochester Optical Co. plate holders that allow them to utilise film, but all my newer sheet film hoders don't need sheaths.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    I have sheaths in my old Rochester Optical Co. plate holders that allow them to utilise film, but all my newer sheet film hoders don't need sheaths.
    The bit that slides into a film/plate holder - dark slide or a double dark slide (DDS) is the sheath, it protects the film or plate from light

The dictionary definition of a sheath is a protective covering or envelope - so all your plate/film holders must have sheaths.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 04-03-2012 at 07:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    [QUOTE=Ian Grant;1325175]The bit that slides into a film/plate holder - dark slide or a double dark slide (DDS) is the sheath, it protects the film or plate from light

The dictionary definition of a sheath is a protective coving or envelope - so all your plate/film holders must have sheaths.
    Yes, I have double dark slides---one on each side of a sheet film (or plate) holder

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    OK, there are film holders and then there are the dark slides (aka sheaths) that slide in and out of the holder and keep the film from being exposed to light until you intend it to!

I just got word from the person selling metal dark slides on that auction place. They seem to be about 5mm too short for my Fidelity 8x10 holders. I gues I need to find dark slides specific for the make/model of holder.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin