Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,742   Online: 955

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used an old 4 x 5 Calumet monorail in the field for may years. I think the main draw back is that most of them don't collapse. My Toko, which is a Japanese knock off of a Wista, is great in the field. Light weight and compact, full movements, pretty good bellows draw, not bad with wide angle lenses either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Sinar P is made to be a studio camera for a high volume shooting where the photographer needs to set movements quickly and accurately. The Sinar P is very precise and beautiful camera. The Sinar F is just as precise, but you have to take extra steps to transfer the calculations. I love my Sinar F because I did a lot of tabletop work which requires accurate swing, tilt and DOF calculations. I'm having GAS over a Sinar P ;-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    should one consider such cameras for use in the field?
    My 4x5 Horseman that you see in my Avatar picture works quite nicely in the field. But don't ever believe that rails in the field are not without some inconveniences that you will have to accept. I used this article to help me decide, even though it is specifically about how to use a monorail Horseman in the field, I believe it can be used to help in the decision process for most monorails. I don't know the weight of the Sinars, but I believe the L-frame of the Horseman contributes to a bit more weight, but it is not anything that I let bother me, it's the camera I use and that's that.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some cameras are better in the field than others; a photographer I know who has a Arca Swiss (I don't know what model,) loves it because it breaks down easily and quickly into a small and reasonably lightweight package and re-assembles into a precise camera in a couple of minutes. I used a Calumet CC-400 for a couple of years and after cutting the rail down to about 20" or so, it was fine. I currently use a Burke & James Grover 8x10 monorail and it's a pain in the posterior but it was dirt cheap and has more movements than I'll ever manage to use. For carrying out and about I much prefer my 4x5 Zone VI folding field camera, but the CC-400 monorail worked just fine for me (I was doing more urban sorts of things at the time, so it was more streets and river banks, not remote woods and fields.)

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a Sinar F1 4x5 and F2 8x10 in the field and think they are great. Granted the subject matter I shoot doesn't usually require me to trek too far from the car. I think the key to packing Sinars in the field is the 6 inch extension rail, I have one for each camera. They allow you to slide everything ( front and rear standards plus mounting cushion) onto a short rail so you don't have to disassemble anything. The boxy ThinkTank backpacks also seem to be a good match for them, thats what mine travel in.

I have lusted after Sinar P's before...and while they would be really nice, and people do use them in the field successfully, they really are intended to be on huge camera stands in the studio. That said, i do continue to look at them....

Adam
    ----------------------
    adamsatushek.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Sinar P is made to be a studio camera for a high volume shooting where the photographer needs to set movements quickly and accurately. The Sinar P is very precise and beautiful camera. The Sinar F is just as precise, but you have to take extra steps to transfer the calculations. I love my Sinar F because I did a lot of tabletop work which requires accurate swing, tilt and DOF calculations. I'm having GAS over a Sinar P ;-)
    An F has a tilt-swing calculator, as you know, but a P has asymmetric movements with the tilt and swing axes aligned with the dotted lines on the groundglass, so you can actually visualize the movement of the focal plane by means of tilt and swing on the rear standard immediately on the groundglass, and then using the scales, you can transfer those movements to the front standard and reset the rear standard to zero for other uses, like distortion correction. If you put an F standard on the front to make a "C" you can still do that.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There seems to be more Sinar cameras on eBay recently. Is that because commercial photographers don't shoot LF as much these days? They're selling for a fraction for what they did a decade ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was severely restricted when using my Omega 45F outdoors.
    Then I picked up a used jogging stroller at a Garage Sale ! I've been able
    to travel much further, and worked really well when I took it
    to Coney Island last year for an APUG MeetUp !

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Betty On Wheels 0001.JPG   Black Betty On Wheels 0002.JPG  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    There seems to be more Sinar cameras on eBay recently. Is that because commercial photographers don't shoot LF as much these days? They're selling for a fraction for what they did a decade ago.
    Yep. Those Sinars were basically used only by commercial photographers because they were too expensive for artists and too bulky/heavy to carry outside very far anyway. Commercial guys went all digital a while ago; the high end guys are using medium format digital, and some use cameras that are like monorail large format system buts made for the little medium format digi backs. VERY expensive stuff!

I always lusted after a Sinar P, but couldn't afford it. Now, I couldn't carry it. I do little studio work, and my legs are in bad condition so I can't carry heavy stuff. My Hasselblad is as heavy as I'm willing to go!
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Chris. I thought the same thing. Back in the early 90's when I assisted in commercial studios, LF Polaroids and LF chrome film flowed like water. I stopped shooting commercially years ago, but my Sinar F still serves me well for occasional personal work. I can't shoot LF chromes anymore because there's no labs that process in the Sacramento area anymore

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin