Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,223   Online: 834

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "Highly corrected" does not imply good bokeh at all, it just means that spherical aberration is well corrected. As it happens (over-)correction of SA tends to cause terrible bokeh and some of the prettiest bokeh you'll see comes from lenses with severely under-corrected SA. The SA causes the edges of the highlight discs to be softly rounded off; exactly correcting for SA results in sharp-edged bokeh and over-correcting SA (a common approach to getting a bit more sharpness) results in nisen-bokeh, i.e. line doubling because the edges of the highlight discs are brighter than their centres.

If you want the ultimate in bokeh, you need to use an apodisation filter by the aperture, e.g. Minolta's 135 STF.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    If you want the ultimate in bokeh, you need to use an apodisation filter by the aperture, e.g. Minolta's 135 STF.
    So, "ultimate bokeh" means "almost completely featureless backgrounds"? It's kinda dull, actually.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    In the end I don't do the sums, just look at a lens' image before deciding if I like it - But I still think overall balance of properties is more important than just sharpness

I am surprised no one has attacked me for commenting on the properties of early Heliars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Grumpy... That's precisely what I'm doing. I'm making an overall observation that very round apertures make better images (stopped down a bit) than octagonal ones. Lately, that's become very obvious to me. Though, lately, my powers of observation and logic are weak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And the reason you've splattered this same nonsense across (at least) three different fora is ______?

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you shoot 35mm, have a look at some images from a CZJ Flektogon 35/2.4. Hexagonal (and very obviously so) aperture, but still beautiful bokeh; for example (digital photos of no artistic merit, but nevertheless an illustration of the lens).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought 'bokeh' was just a word you slipped into the title on eBay to try and get a better price for your lens.

.... like 'petzval'.
    Steve

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    "Highly corrected" does not imply good bokeh at all, it just means that spherical aberration is well corrected. As it happens (over-)correction of SA tends to cause terrible bokeh and some of the prettiest bokeh you'll see comes from lenses with severely under-corrected SA. The SA causes the edges of the highlight discs to be softly rounded off; exactly correcting for SA results in sharp-edged bokeh and over-correcting SA (a common approach to getting a bit more sharpness) results in nisen-bokeh, i.e. line doubling because the edges of the highlight discs are brighter than their centres.

Hang on, what I actually typed was "I understand it is a function of the way spherical aberration is corrected, or not" - I have added the bold type

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay... if "some" spherical aberration is necessary to produce nice bokeh then maybe I should be looking for Imagons, SF Ektars, SF Fujinons, etc. I'd only use the discs with the periferal holes closed though. I hate the effect created with them open. I'd definitely use them "stopped down" a bit. Am I crazy or is this one way to get what I want?
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 04-03-2012 at 12:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RE: front aperture. Doesn't that degrade image quality in other ways? I thought the aperture needed to be placed precisely at the nodal point. Also, that method wouldn't work with lenses of shorter-than-normal focal length would it? Maybe I'll give it a try.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin