Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,235   Online: 1035

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Howdy GOM,

I'm going large format because I'm returning to my roots. While I've shot 135 and miscellaneous 120 but I always preferred sheet film.

It's a neurological thing, not so much a physical one, so carrying a 4x5 a few hundred yards from the car is really no different than carrying nothing. For those times that I don't think I can handle a larger 4x5 (Canham Traditional to stitch up to 4x10), several sheet film holders and a larger set of lenses, I do have a lightweight 4x5 (Chamonix 45N-1) dedicated solely to 6x12cm roll film with a dedicated set of smaller lenses.

I'm not poor but I'm far from wealthy. I'm almost embarrassed to list the pricey sets of lenses I've acquired over the last couple of years especially since they probably won't do everything I want them to. At any rate I can afford to buy a few more lenses... just none of those high-priced rare artsy ones with strong cult followings.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    none of those high-priced rare artsy ones with strong cult followings.
    Then try a low priced artsy one with a strong cult following:

http://re-inventedphotoequip.com/Site/Prices.html

They even come with perfectly round apertures.

You may find, though, that a sink-strainer aperture works more to your liking. You can even use a real sink strainer:
    http://www.amazon.com/LDR-501-3220-D...3501300&sr=1-4
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 04-03-2012 at 08:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nicholas... any example images shot with these lenses? I don't like the "sink drain" apertures hence my reasoning to use Imagon and Fujinon SF discs fully closed using only the center openings.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nicholas... any example images shot with these lenses? I don't like the "sink drain" apertures hence my reasoning to use Imagon and Fujinon SF discs fully closed using only the center openings.
    Here is example of Fujinon SF. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact specs on the exposure. I seem to remember it was Yellow disc about halfway open. Film is likely to FP-4. I think I scanned a contact proof, not the neg. Dust spots is an artifact of the contact sheet, not the neg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt___SF_1.jpg  
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 04-04-2012 at 10:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Mamiya 150 SF may entertain.

Apart from that and similar imagon lenses, you can of course get an LF lens and rip out the aperture blades and make yourself a perfectly round aperture disc. I did this with an old convertible lens and, notwithstanding the 5 minutes of math I had to do to compute the diameters of the openings, it was very easy. I cut the apertures in black slide film. By using a more transparent material you can get interesting mixes of sharp and blur. I have an idea for an electronically controlled item that'd achieve the same effect.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I mentioned soft focus lenses such as Imagon, Fujinon SF, Kodak Portrait, etc. I may have confused the issue. I'm pretty sure those are all cemented doublets and are a little more corrected than meniscus lenses. I mentioned them because they become pretty sharp when stopped down somewhat and show very little glow.

I'm really just looking for lenses with good bokeh or merde or that difficult-to-describe creaminess... whatever we choose to call it. I never fully realized how important this is until recently.

As ususal, when I find something that interests me it will take me a long time to understand and find solutions for it. At the moment I'm sort of grasping at straws. I hope everyone can forgive that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I mentioned soft focus lenses such as Imagon, Fujinon SF, Kodak Portrait, etc. I may have confused the issue. I'm pretty sure those are all cemented doublets and are a little more corrected than meniscus lenses. I mentioned them because they become pretty sharp when stopped down somewhat and show very little glow.
    The fujinon is a 3-element lens, if I recall correctly. When stopped down or used without a strainer it is respectably sharp with not much of a trace of softness.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Firstly, the page from the book by Con. . . .

No, too much crap already, I will PM you

John

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin