Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,082   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two Verito's as well. They have the 'magic' you want. Another one that has not been mentioned is the Kodak portrait lenses. They have the glow also, plus the more recent ones were coated, so your shadows are not quite as flat, plus the 305 normally can be found in an Ilex shutter with speed choices and everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fujinon 250mm SF lens.

Does anyone have direct experience using the Fujinon 250mm SF lens with 4x5 or larger?

I am interested in a possible comparison with other popular soft focus lenses,
    I do not care for what I call "muddy" prints, (high lights spread into shadow or the shadow into the high lights) I want the optical effect I used to get
    with and old P&S lens I once owned. The new P&S Cooke lens is completely
    out of question budget wise, so am trying to find an SF lens that can come
    close to what the old P&S gave me.

Thanks in advance for any help, information or sugestions.

C Webb

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GaussianNoise
    I poked around the web for more info on this fascinating class of lenses. There isn't much info out there..... I'd love to see a presentation similar to that done for the verito by William.
    Glad you enjoyed that page! I'm working on doing something similar for a number of portrait/soft-focus lenses which would hopefully become something of an online reference. To be valid, it really needs to be done under the same subject/lighting conditions in a controlled setting. And my collection of lenses isn't quite as many as I'd like (is it ever?), so I may be hitting some of you up for some loaners!

...I'd really like to get a modern example of this lens...
    Why a modern example? The old ones are the real deal. My 8 1/4" Verito was a direct fit into an Ilex #4 sync shutter. YMMV, of course. And as Clay already mentioned, the 305mm Kodak Portrait usually comes in an Ilex #5. Neither shutter is as reliable as a modern Copal, but then they don't cost $3000, either. A set of ND filters is a very good thing to have, too. This is the original "aperture priority"!

Another example of an image by the Verito is the sunflowers in my personal gallery.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    Why a modern example? The old ones are the real deal. My 8 1/4" Verito was a direct fit into an Ilex #4 sync shutter.
    Well, you hit on it already...the shutter. All of the Veritos I've seen (not many) have been in a studio shutter. Now, I don't even know what that is but have gleened that it's not at all realiable. An Ilex shutter would be great. Did you retro-fit yours?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Studio shutter is a single set of blades which functions both as iris and shutter. The aperture ring sets the maximum aperture to which the blades will open. They can be a bit finicky depending on age and abuse. Actuation is by a thumb lever for focusing and by cable release for exposure. The only setting, however, is effectively "bulb": press to open, release to close. There is no sync.

I've been told that the 8 1/4" Verito cells will fit directly into a #4 Ilex. In my case that was true and I was able to simply screw the elements into place and go take pictures. But I'm sure there were manufacturing variations and it would be foolish for me to claim that that is always the case. Check with Grimes and see what they say. I think the worst case would still be a fairly straightforward remount.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmm. I prefer to just shoot sharp and soften in printing. Gives me more control over the final image and I find it easier to control the focus in-camera when I don't have a soft focus lens on board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aloness.jpg   saturday1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with you, Cheryl. I'd rather put a filter of some sort on a sharp lens, or soften just what I want when printing.

That said, the sample Verito images linked above do look nice.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Softening in printing is an interesting effect, as is using a diffusion screen or Softar or other lens attachment, but these are different effects from a soft focus lens, just as soft focus lenses are different from each other. Diffusion under the enlarging lens sprays the shadows into the highlights, which can be done subtly or not-so-subtly to produce a kind of ghoulish effect (not always a bad thing). You see this on some Mapplethorpe portraits. For a non-ghoulish softening under the enlarger effect, the most natural result I've seen is with a Zeiss Softar #1 on the enlarging lens for part of the exposure time.

Regarding other aberrations contributing to the soft focus effect, there is definitely chromatic aberration going on with the Verito, even stopped down. If you shoot a color transparency with a Verito and look closely at highlights with a loupe, you can see the color fringing distinctly. If you want to eliminate it with B&W, just add a strong monochromatic filter (like yellow).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a very old Boyer 150 / 4.5 Saphir enlarging lens. It's terrible wide open for enlarging. It gets a lot better at f 11 or f 16. But it turn out to be an excellent softfocus lens with beautifull soft halos around faces and lights.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, you hit on it already...the shutter. All of the Veritos I've seen (not many) have been in a studio shutter. Now, I don't even know what that is but have gleened that it's not at all realiable. An Ilex shutter would be great. Did you retro-fit yours?
    I have a 7-1/4" Verito that is in an original Betax shutter. So some of them were put into non-studio shutters. This is a great 5x7 lens, btw.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin