Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,411   Online: 866

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bag for Canham MQC 5x7

Hey,

I asked this across t3h hall (LF Photo) but I figured there might be some other opinions here.

I have a Canham MQC and have spend a decent amount of $$ trying to minimize weight for the kit. I'd like to find a backpack that will fit the camera, 150mm HM, minimum of 5 film holders, 508 meter, torpedo level and hopefully strap a tripod to it (not 100% necessary though).

I've taken a look at the Calumet, Tamarac and Lowepro bags but they're either too small or kind've overkill.

Anyone have suggestions/pictures to share about their setup with this camera?

T

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Camera specific packs rarely carry well. Look for a regular weekend style (~3000 cu. inches/ 40 – 50 liters) backpack that will comfortably carry at least 30 lbs.

This is my camera (only) pack. It opens from the back (harness) with a heavy duty zipper, so it is easy to throw it down and work out of it suitcase style, without dirtying the harness. 5X7 (in LowePro Omni Traveler), 3 lenses, Pentax spot, 6 filters, 5 film holders in insulated lunch bag, various sundry items (notebook, glasses, repair) in pockets. The pack also has room for a water bladder, two zip top pockets for day's clothing and lunch, and a large mesh pocket on the back.

And no, you can't have my giraffe.
    Last edited by ROL; 04-04-2012 at 12:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I keep checking out camera bags at camera stores and I'm less than impressed: overly complex (cuz they're designed for someone with a dslr, 6 bajillion lenses, a laptop, a vending machine and a pharmacy) or just overpriced and poorly designed.

The Osprey looks to be "legit." Now to track one down. Any idea how the newer models of Osprey compare?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Shooter
    Holga
    I was going to suggest the Kelty Redwing P1/P2 but I can't find any information on their website. Have they stopped customising backpacks for camera gear?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmiggins View Post
    I was going to suggest the Kelty Redwing P1/P2 but I can't find any information on their website. Have they stopped customising backpacks for camera gear?
    Redwings are now renamed. Something like the Redwing 50. I spoke to Bruce from Photobackpacker. The design fits most cameras but not the MQC in one of his cases.

After a 10 mile hike yesterday with my standard backpack I just shelled out the cash for an entire Photobackpacker kit. Too much weight on my shoulders yesterday means that I'm suffering a bit today.

I still can't believe I used to ride a fixed gear with 2 lenses, 10 film holders, MQC and an alloy tripod in my messenger bag.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a Kata 'Panda 402' photo backpack for my LF. The Panda has two sections in it, and I use the lower section for the camera, and put film holders, lenses etc in the upper section. My camera is a largish 4x5 field camera (Walker Titan), and it has plenty of extra room in the bottom section - I am pretty sure that most any 5x7 would fit in there.
    I have been very happy with the Kata bags.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Take a look at Mountainsmith bags. I have a small one I use for my Hasselblad gear that is comfortable and well-made.
    Keith Pitman
    Photographer
    www.keithpitman.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin