Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,530   Online: 818

Shooter
    Multi Format

Question of about large diameter filters

Why is it beyond a certain size filters (B+W for example) are not available multi-coated?

Shooter
    Large Format
    You’ll have to inquire of B+W or whatever supplier you’re interested in for a definitive answer. I can only speculate that there isn’t enough demand for the relatively rare large sizes.

I wanted a B+W 023 multicoated yellow filter in 105mm. This was available via special order from Germany, but only in the “Thin” version. On the B+W thin filters, the mounting ring ends abruptly just forward of the glass with no threads on the front. I bought mine in 2011 from B&H.

I just checked the B&H site and see that while some 105mm MRC filters for black-and-white are still listed, they’re all marked “DISCONTINUED.”

Currently, B&H only shows the following 105mm filters for B&W photography (not multicoated):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...e&N=4291599900

Not good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ian - I was hoping you'd see this thread.

Exactly the problem I'm having. I'm the proud new owner of two new Schneider XLs (the 72 and 90), both of which require enourmous filters - 95mm without center filter, or worse, 112mm if fitted to the front thread of the center filters. I wanted a few standard yellow and orange contrast filters. Ideally B+W. Can't find anything other than a few in the 95mm size - but not MRC. I looked on the Schneider (B+W) site but no luck.

Next step was going to be to contact them. They have been helfpul to me in the past (they actually custom-cut some clear MRC glass for me to make a 35mm carrier with, for a reasonable price). But I can only imagine how expensive it would be for them to custom make these huge filters - especially if they will only do the "thin" versions. Perhaps they could make square ones without rings. But then I'd need some fancy Lee-type gizmo to fit the lens.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have these lenses and the SSXL 150. I use a Lee setup which lets me use a range of graduated filters as well as regular contrast filters..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee filters seem to be quite popular these days especially with digital shooters, with all the neutral grad stuff etc. But is the glass good?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee filters are glass. If you can afford those lenses, you can afford to have some filters made. Get ahold of bob solomon at hp marketing. Make sure you're sitting down when you get the prices.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah that's what I'm dreading. Especially if it's Heliopan, which I think is what HP distributes. Yikes.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin