Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,688   Online: 962

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    There is a nice old wood camera in the display case at the Yosemite Visitor center, too...and in museums across the world, too.

At least they can usually be seen. But think about all the cameras in private collections -- hidden away.
    Yep, I provided the camera and lens at the request of the AA Gallery for the display. There's plenty of old 8x10's laying around not being used. Having a few on display in museums is better than them rotting in someone's basement...
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Yep, I provided the camera and lens at the request of the AA Gallery for the display. There's plenty of old 8x10's laying around not being used. Having a few on display in museums is better than them rotting in someone's basement...
    I hear ya Kerik, I would rather see them in the museum rather than squirled away.

When I first saw it, I had a thought to try and barter with the museum... the thought left as fast as it came.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't think there is any shortage of large format cameras for users, and 8x10 studio cameras haven't been in much demand for over 50 years. I've turned down several over the years. I like seeing them used, but also like seeing them on display where more people can learn something about the history of photography.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    So I will you to thank the next time I am in the Valley and someone yells out -- "Look! A museum piece! And he has a camera just like in the Visitor Center!"
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Having a few on display in museums is better than them rotting in someone's basement...
    Or put in the dumpster, or made into ipod docks, or any number of other things. Yes, we say "too bad that's not being used" but the problem is there aren't enough people who want to use them. Not putting the camera in a museum isn't going to change that. You want the camera to get used? Go out and find someone to use it.

The other day I was at Harvard's Sackler museum, where an exhibit of some of Lionel Feininger's photography was on display. His cameras--a Voigtlander Berheil and a Leica I--were on display in a case. I'd make a guess they haven't been used in a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    Or put in the dumpster, or made into ipod docks, or any number of other things. Yes, we say "too bad that's not being used" but the problem is there aren't enough people who want to use them. Not putting the camera in a museum isn't going to change that. You want the camera to get used? Go out and find someone to use it.

The other day I was at Harvard's Sackler museum, where an exhibit of some of Lionel Feininger's photography was on display. His cameras--a Voigtlander Berheil and a Leica I--were on display in a case. I'd make a guess they haven't been used in a long time.
    Peace brother, this was just a comment on how I...me...felt when I sawthe camera, I know/understand that not everyone is using these machines. It was a moment in time. It was initial thought when the camera was viewed sitting on a glass case in a museum, it was nothing more. The post is just conversation, a little fun..understand?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is a beauty, Steve! Wow. It almost makes me sad I'm not into sheet film shooting...
    Although there's a devil sitting on my shoulder, calling my name, saying "paper negatives"... Could do that with the 5x7 that's collecting dust in my basement. Maybe it's time for a geek-out fest.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i stayed at a little hotel in the mountains in southern france years ago
    they had a HUGE view camera on display in the lobby, it was like 18x22" or bigger
    i almost asked if i could USE it when i was there, but i didn't want to freak out the staff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As photographers, I think we tend to anthropomorphize our cameras. I know I've been the first to put film through a few cameras that hadn't been used in decades. Each time, I'm certain that the camera is happy... I know I'm glad I can help the camera do what it was created to do, after a long hiatus.
    I think of unused, museum cameras as dinosaur bones. A camera that is used is still alive. What would be nice is if the museum cameras got used at least once a year. I think they'd appreciate it. Mine do- they told me so...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a number of vintage aircraft museums in the Puget Sound area of Washington state. My favorites are those where the aircraft shown are displayed with drip pans under their engines. Not hanging from the ceiling by wires.

Most Saturdays all summer long, weather and pilot availability allowing, the vintage military aircraft owned by Paul Allen and open to the public at Paine Field in Everett, Washington are rolled out, fired up, and flown. There is no charge to come watch, and every effort is made to accomodate interested photographers. At the end of last summer I came to watch Allen's B-25J Mitchell bomber fly together with another B-25D from a different collection also at Paine. What a treat.

It's the same principle.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin