Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,019   Online: 782

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: start smaller?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks so much for all this info. I'm going to try the paper shooting - and the apug member here that sold me some film holders pre-loaded a few with some cheaper film for me to start out too- very kind of him. The lens is a bit controversial I guess. (some say it will cover just what I need some say not....) I had one that was too long and so I have that put away and now I have another but it just covers the 8x10 (according to the seller on the lg. format forum)....guess testing it will prove. I wanted a 12" 300 but couldn't find one in my price range so this one isn't it. this is a wollensak 9 1/2" in a no.4 betax shutter. my 8x10 is at least 100 years old now but I look forward to using it as much as I can. thanks for the exposure info too TheFlyingCamera.
    Last edited by JessicaDittmer; 04-12-2012 at 12:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    j e s s i c a | d i t t m e r

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That Wollensak may not cover at infinity, but in the focusing ranges you're talking about (1/2 life size to life size), it will cover just fine. The $64 question is, will you like the look of what you get? That's a pretty wide lens for 8x10, and it may produce perspective effects that you don't like at that close a distance. But the only way to tell for sure is to use it. Put a bit of that cheap film behind it and see what you get. If you like your results or at least can live with them, then keep on using that lens! If not, there are a million and one 300mm/12" or 360mm/14" lenses out there for your camera that will work just fine. You can get a 300mm/12" Kodak Commercial Ektar for a reasonable amount of money and it will produce outstanding results, and the 14" Commercial Ektar is more but still not astronomical.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi, Jessica! While coverage of the Wollensak 9-1/2" is questionable (they made a 6-1/4" that covers, and it is labeled on the lens as being for 8x10, while yours may have been made for 5x7), that is 240mm. Fuji made a 250mm portrait lens for 8x10. A 10mm difference is nothing in 8x10 terms.

You'll have to use it and just see how it does for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    +1 for the paper negative suggestion.

Keep in mind, that mistakes with 4x5 are less costly and shooting 4x5 is almost identical to 8x10, just scaled down.

However, If you wanna dive right into 8x10, No one here is gonna stop you
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks! this lens says 9 1/2 on the front - I will test it out and see what I think. The one I have otherwise is a 480 or something crazy and a bit too much for the bellows on my camera - I'll give it a try and see what happens anyway with this shorter one. my boys will humor me while I test. LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaDittmer View Post
    thanks! this lens says 9 1/2 on the front - I will test it out and see what I think. The one I have otherwise is a 480 or something crazy and a bit too much for the bellows on my camera - I'll give it a try and see what happens anyway with this shorter one. my boys will humor me while I test. LOL
    Your 9 1/2" Wollensak is almost certainly a Tessar design, it might just barely cover at infinity, but if it does, there will be no image circle left for movements. Close up, it will cover more, and if you have short bellows on your 8x10 it may be your only option. You need a 312 mm image circle to cover 8x10. Note that "cover" means to give a sharp image all the way to the corners, and that "illuminate" does not mean "cover". Many are confused by that distinction. A Tessar design will give about 52 - 55 degrees angle of view, stopping down will increase that by a few degrees.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like soft edges- so I'm okay with that.- on the bellows I'm maxing out at about 19".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaDittmer View Post
    I like soft edges- so I'm okay with that.- on the bellows I'm maxing out at about 19".
    You cam make sharp edges soft, but not the other way around.

With 19" bellows, you can use a 12"/300mm lens on a tophat (extension) lensboard. 300mm Symmars are common, with any luck you could grab one for a few hundred dollars. This would give you 70 degrees coverage which means a huge image circle, you can indulge in pretty much all the movements you'll ever need. It might be worth looking out for. As long as you pay a realistic price, you can be pretty certain of getting your money back if you decide to resell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    good points! thanks for all the info - going to keep my eye out for a 12" still while I test out the one I have.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin