Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,282   Online: 966

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bellows Repair?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I have the tape coming. It is supposed to be here Monday. Could not find anything in town but Duck brand black duct tape. I have used that before and you can see more light through it than I can trough the windows in my apartment.

I can, of course, get a brand new Toyo bellows, that they claim is so flexible that you no longer need a bag bellows. But that would cost more than I plan on investing in the whole outfit. My choices in my budget range are: 1--Repair, 2--Make, 3--One of those cheap Chinese ones without the frames from eBay.

Just think of it, with a new Bellows and a new rear standard, I would only have $2000 dollars in a perfectly working camera that I could sell lfor $500. Where my intent is to have a decently working camera with 3 lenses for $500, or less. And, yes, I know, that if I lived in a big city, I could probably have found one for that price; but I do not live in a big city, or even near one.

I will post an article on my blog (http://graywolfphoto.com/journal/201...w-45g-arrives/) about how this repair works out

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you are looking at replacement bellows you (or others in a similar situation) might also want to look at Custom Bellows in the UK. They did a set of bellows for my 8x20 Korona Panoramic at a cost of less than 300 UKP, plus shipping. While that is a large sum of money, it is a large bellows (8x20 format and 32" long) for a big ULF camera, and an 4x5 would likely be considerably less. Work quality from Custom Bellows is first rate and they delivered when they promised.

I have not used Turner, so I cannot compare their work and service relative to Custom Bellows. Just another option for you.

And as mentioned by others above, I too draped my dark cloth over the bellows on my 8x10 until I got new bellow for it.

Good luck,

Len

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You might find all your problems will be solved with a visit here http://www.custombellows.co.uk/

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a Toyo 45c and I used black electrical tape to patch the bellows. Has worked fine up until now but the surface glossy material of the bellows seems to separating from what is underneath over time. The repair has lasted a good eighteen months though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it now looks like a simple repair is not going to work. Some photos and commentary about that is on my blog at
    http://graywolfphoto.com/journal/201...-45g-bellows1/

The Plastic Dip rubberized spray coating looks like it would deal well with bellows not so far gone. That leave my options being to make a bellows myself, or buy one of the Chinese made ones on eBay. I simply am not interested in paying $300-400 for a bellows.

Since I also have a couple of folding cameras that also need bellows making them may just be the best way to fly. I figure that I might make a trial version out of paper first just to see how it goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, any Toyo 4x5 removable bellows should fit... from a 45C, 45D, 45E, 45G, etc. (I think Robos too??). New old stock Toyo bellows pop up for sale fairly often. In fact, I just bought one for less than $150US shipped. No, I'm not selling it.
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 04-23-2012 at 01:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I just ordered a bellows from an eBay seller in China. I picked that particular seller because I was able to find here on apug a couple of buyers who had reported that the bellows they ordered from were fine, although they bought bellows for a different camera. Those were the only non-bbay feedback reports I could find. I no longer trust eBay feedback at all.

I ordered the bellows due to shear laziness. I am sure that I could make a really nice bellows after 3-4 tries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Custom Bellows (UK) built me a replacement bellows for my 8x10 for around $250 dollars. Their bellows are excellent - a fabulous job. They are also very quick. I sent them the camera's front and rear standards. Previously to save money, I had patched my old bellows with book binder's tape and black acrylic hobby paint - all tips from APUG forums. Also I draped a dark cloth over the bellows to block out light. My original bellows only had a maximum extension of 17 inches, I had it extended to 24 inches - much better for portraits. My camera is now a thing of beauty. Cheers Michael.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin