Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,208   Online: 842

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Mod54 would be a perfect solution, but last time i checked they were back ordered already. It has to be both a daylight tank and take 1L of chemistry, as that's the volume I use for doing stand dev, and the amount i mix my stock solutions to.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Those jobo tanks look quite viable.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can taco four sheets...

Patterson Super System IV tank and 800ml.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    yeah why not go with Jobo? and a processor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about the Nikor 4x5 tank? That takes even less than 1L I think...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They're hard to find and very expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's at least 3 Nikor 4x5s on eprey right now... @ $200ish, not that much more than other options (given how many sheets can be done at once in the Nikor).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    +1

6 4x5" sheets in a Paterson 3-reel = exactly 1 liter. Good product, just agitate gently.
    +2, I have two of these and *love* how simple they are, simply brilliant. I just do black and white and place the temp probe for my RH Designs Process Master II in the spindle and get right to it.

I might even buy a third for workshops just to cover my rear, they just make soooo much sense, looks like he just updated the design so at least we know Morgan is committed to the product....
    Last edited by PKM-25; 04-29-2012 at 02:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    How about the Nikor 4x5 tank? That takes even less than 1L I think...
    The Nikor 4x5 tank is designed for 36 US fluid ounces, or just about exactly 1 liter. It can load up to 12 sheets, but care must be exercised to assure a sufficient minimum volume of developer is present, depending on dilutions used. If one is picky, care should also be exercised to arrange loads of less than 12 sheets symmetrically to minimize differential agitation artifacts. Some users load dummy sheets to assure the tank is always physically full.

Also, since the inner cage has a solid top over the loaded sheets (with a single large hole in the middle), it is possible to get trapped air bubbles underneath the top that show as irregular strips of lower density along whichever negative edge was facing up between agitations. Rapping the tank does not work in this case as the cage is not a spiral and there is no place for the bubbles to escape. One solution can be to add a few drops of Edwal LFN to the developer to reduce the formation of bubbles in the first place.

Regarding prices for used ones, I don't see $200 as excessive. If one can justify the expense as a one-off lifetime purchase, it actually makes a lot of sense. The thing is indestructable in normal use, and if used for 20 years that's only $10 a year for the peace of mind of having and using the absolutely correct tool. I've spent a lot more than that for equipment that gets a lot less regular use.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm also a fan of the Nikor sheet film tank, which takes all sizes from 2x3" to 4x5". I've never made any particular effort to fill all slots, and I haven't had problems with air bubbles either, but I suppose it may just depend on what film/dev combination you're using. I have two--one set for 2x3" and one set for 4x5", but if I have a large batch of either, I can adjust them to the same size as needed.

I once asked Hewes if they might consider manufacturing this tank themselves, and I got the impression it would be too expensive to manufacture today, with its 120-odd spot welds.

I also have a single rectangular 4x5" SS tank that takes hangers and uses 1L of chemistry. I bought it mainly for monobath processing, but I've also used it when I wanted to make a one shot or other short usage developer and develop with hangers, continuing the process in my 5L stop and fix tanks.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin