Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,632   Online: 1147

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Looking for a 4x5 dev tank that takes 1L of chemistry

Been doing my own E6 lately, but taco-devving 2 sheets of E6 is a pain, and my rolling print drums won't be able to keep the chemistry at temperature. So, Does anyone have tank suggestions? I've used a Yankee tank before, but i'm not sure how well it would hold up to doing color chemistry.

Having it take 1 Quart of chemistry is a must though.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many people use the Jobo tanks with the rotary systems for 5x4, I'm not sure of the tank no's. However I use an older inversion 2000 series tank (pre-rotatry) that takes two spirals of 6 sheets each and this needs 1 litre of chemistry per spiral. I have used if for E6 many times in the past.

One advantage of a rotary processor is they use less chemistry.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 04-20-2012 at 03:34 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, old Jobo 2000 tank and 2021 reel use 1l of chemistry. Those pop up on german 'bay quite regularly and are a tad cheaper than new style reels. Watch out to get correct size reel, because they are not adjustable. Most of them are available in 9x12cm size.

Two-reel setup (which Ian has) looks like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	product-03104350898.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	49681

Loading device is of no great use IMHO.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Having it take 1 Quart of chemistry is a must though.
    Why is the volume important?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nova do (did?) a dip'n'dunk line based around the Combiplan tanks - These use a little over 1l per tank, and if you can find some cheap enough, worth considering.

I keep looking at my Combiplan and tossing around the idea of getting some tupperware boxes to do B&W dip'n'dunk. Maybe I'll get round to sourcing some when I get another big batch of films to process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a bunch of tanks that are designed for processing 4x5 film on hangersthat I run e-6 in. Most are the more common floating lid ones, but one I found that has a light tight lid, and only needs 1L of chemistry.

The down side of the little tank is that it will only hold 6 hangers, while the more common Kodak hard rubber ones take like 9 or more hangers at a time. The Kodak hard rubber ones take at least 1.5L to bring the level up to that of the fil in the hanger though.

I run the longer lasting chems or ones I have ample supplies of in the larger tanks; pre bleach, bleach, fix, stop(s).

The first developer, color developer and reversal bath I work though the small tank.

Sometimes I pour chemistry in with the lights out in the darkroom, and then pour out with the lights on and the tlight tight trap still in place, so as to not loose as much time in inrrtroducing solutions.

I suggest that making up a plexiglass or acrylic insert for a common 4x5 tank and siliconing it in place might be the way to go to get 1L to fil a common tanks most easily.

I know that convetional sink lines use stainless tanks and a water jacket. I don't run this rig often enough to want to dedicate that kind of space to the rig.

I store the longer lasting chems in their tanks, with floating lids, also with saran wrap over the top of a tank to cut down on evaporation.

To bring them up to temperature, I remove the flaoting lid and microwave the whole rubber tank. Take care, the ferric causes the bleach to heats much faster than the other chemical baths.

After they have been fast warmed in the microwave, then go into an oversized tray warm water bath that acts as an impromptu water bath.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone tried a heat lamp on print drums? If not I may be the first to try. I'm going to try C41 first and then E6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    +1

6 4x5" sheets in a Paterson 3-reel = exactly 1 liter. Good product, just agitate gently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About the only 4x5 tank that I know that only takes one liter of chemistry is the HP Combiplan.

And for the other guy, they used to sell just the tanks so you could set up a line with them. I do not know if you an get just the tanks anymore. $75 each seems kind of expensive to me, if you have to buy the whole set to get the tanks, although it would be nice to have some extra film carriers.

The cheapest setup would seem to be the Yankee 1/2 gal plastic tanks that take regular SS (stainless steel) hangers. The best way to set up a line would be with SS tanks, and you can sometimes pick them up secondhand cheap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin