Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,757   Online: 807

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    eggggscellent!
    thanks Jessica.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    This process is great fun and can be developed, otherwise I don't get it - I just don't understand the raving about something we have all tried, looked at and generally moved on from - This will be great if Jessica develops the work and pushes the process forward

But essentially I don't get such an obvious George Platt-Lynes homage

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPL.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	49720

John
    Last edited by John Austin; 04-21-2012 at 04:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Oooops,

My wife Rae has just told me off for the above post - She did that is in her role as pinhole to cyanotype and gum bichromate worker with me as her dark room boy and trouble shooter

John unrecantant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    This process is great fun and can be developed, otherwise I don't get it - I just don't understand the raving about something we have all tried, looked at and generally moved on from - This will be great if Jessica develops the work and pushes the process forward

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPL.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	49720

John
    Use such a broad brush when painting yourself into a corner

I've never done it and appreciate the OP's tips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not familiar with this pic posted above. I'm doing a series of my kids with outdoor things (bird nests, sticks, rocks, antlers etc and thought this was a fun idea- with him holding the antlers up). I'm learning my 8x10 camera and enjoy seeing a bit more immediate results and I like what is coming out of it on the paper. I do plan to work on this more. I would think it is good to have even these new people like me that are excited about processes (even if they are old to other people)...we are at different levels of learning and experimenting- that's not a bad thing. At 35 years old I have a lot more ahead of me to learn I know and new things excite me when I can work with my own hands to do it- instead of digital,etc...
    Last edited by JessicaDittmer; 04-21-2012 at 09:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    j e s s i c a | d i t t m e r

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post

John
    well - if you ask me everything has been done...

I use paper negatives mostly for portraits. With a couple of reasons:
    1: it is much cheaper than film use.
    2: it is much faster than film use..
    3: I have rather big cameras - films for these are hard to get (and really, really expensive)
    4: the most important reason: paper negatives give me something film doesn't. The orthochromatic sensitivity and also the imprint of the fibers in the paper used as negative. It can give me reaults I'd never be able to get from normal film.

the idea that it has been done before and therefore should be ignored is not my thinking.
    I'm not moving foreward. I am moving in all directions. and if that takes be "back", then it is fine by me...

Jessica: congrats on your new "apartment"... now you "just" have to furnish it..

BTW: try fiberbased paper for the end result. That can give you even better looking images...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also think the surface of the paper also has an impact in terms of glossy, semimatt, satin, and matt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey bruce

no need to worry about anything ...

a lot of people who have 30, even 40years experience doing darkroom and camerawork have no idea how to make paper negatives
    they have no idea that if you don't have a negative but you have a print, you can make a paper negative from the print,
    they have no idea you can retouch the paper negative with pencils, or it is possible to have fun just doing something that is as old
    as the dawn of photography.

i love making paper negatives not because i think i am doing something new, but because it is FUN ...
    and a lot of photography seems to be ignoring the fun aspect of using a camera, with people more interested
    in gear-talk &c ...

john ...

you ARE grumpy

john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=gandolfi;1333040]well - if you ask me everything has been done...QUOTE]

+1000

Still, this chick is way to excited about photography. Where's the frustration? The aggravation? The disappointment? The resentment?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    <snip>...this chick is way to excited about photography. Where's the frustration? The aggravation? The disappointment? The resentment?
    Photography is her friend, not her husband.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin