Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,588   Online: 1102

View Poll Results: Primary Wood Option

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cherry

12 36.36%
  • Cedar

0 0%
  • Oak

4 12.12%
  • Mahogony

7 21.21%
  • Walnut

1 3.03%
  • Maple

1 3.03%
  • Black Palm

2 6.06%
  • Rosewood

4 12.12%
  • Purpleheart

1 3.03%
  • Bubinga

1 3.03%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I checked through the list of woods... but I couldn't find MDF!

Actually I was having fun doing some woodwork yesterday making sheet film holders.

After a bit of research the wood recommended as most workable for not too silly money was sapele.

This is mahogany family, but not your actual mahogany.

I'm based in the UK, so the list of woods available to me is going to be very different, so not much point making too many suggestions. Also, I suspect what I might buy locally as 'oak' and what someone in North America buys as 'oak' might be very different. But... then again we might both be buying some other wood imported from somewhere in Africa.

My sapele arrived a few days ago - but I didn't want to try out my rather poor woodworking skills out making a prototype out of this new wood, so I found an old shelf that a previous owner had put up in my kitchen. I removed it about 15 years ago and stuck it in my rather damp 'hot in the summer / below freezing in the winter' garage. I took it out and found it was still as flat as a slab of granite and in perfect condition. I sliced it up into 20 X 20 mm batons on the band saw. It seemed to saw really nicely - and worked fairly well on the router table, too. Quite hard, you need a slow feed, but I managed lots of really narrow slots with no chipping or splitting. Planing was not quite so easy - the grain tends to tear if you catch it in the wrong direction, but not too badly. I like the fact that after this time if it hasn't warped by now... I don't really expect it to move.

Frustratingly, I don't know what wood it is. It has a fairly straight grain, it's quite dense and is quite light brown when smooth, but the saw dust has a reddish tinge. I'm not much of a wordworker at all and certainly no sort of expert, but I'm guessing iroko, sometimes known as 'poor man's teak' - which would explain why it has kept so well. It is so nice to work with I'm beginning to wonder if I needed to bother with the sapele!
    It would make a weatherproof 'tropical camera', too.
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    Frustratingly, I don't know what wood it is.
    Post a picture showing the grain. One of us should be able to work out what it is.

For wood supplies in the UK, try this musical instrument makers supplier: http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/

They can cut it to the size you want and even plane/thickness it for you.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Actually, I based my plans off of Jon Grepstad's designs for a 4x5 friction focus. I went through several designs to refine exactly what I wanted.
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Horseman L45 || Rolleicord VB || Mamiya RB67

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Post a picture showing the grain. One of us should be able to work out what it is.

For wood supplies in the UK, try this musical instrument makers supplier: http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/

They can cut it to the size you want and even plane/thickness it for you.

Steve.
    Hi,

I answered this message a few hours ago, but my reply seems to have... "DISAPPEARED".

Freaky. Looks like APUG is still having a few problems...
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

I answered this message a few hours ago, but my reply seems to have... "DISAPPEARED".

Freaky. Looks like APUG is still having a few problems...
    Ya, not only did I get your response, I got a response with you quoting yourself. Kinda like meeting yourself in a time warp, eh?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After a bit of research the wood recommended as most workable for not too silly money was sapele. .
    I was gonna vote for that but it wasn't on the list... *L*

What the heck is sapele?

tim in san jose where exotic woods are burned for charcoal
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    What the heck is sapele?
    It's what a lot of things which initially look like they might be made from mahogany are actually made from.

In England it's very common to find interior household doors veneered with Sapele.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It's what a lot of things which initially look like they might be made from mahogany are actually made from.
    In England it's very common to find interior household doors veneered with Sapele.
    Steve.
    I had a large set of picture frames made in the mid 90's and the section was cut from Sapele, as you say it's quite common here. I'm looking at what wood I need to renovate a whole plate cameran and need something that will match existing parts. I'm not sure that sapele is quite hard enough for the more delicate front standard I need, oak works well but has a marked grain.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ian, what size pieces do you need? I have some old bits of what I think is mahogany from a 1940s loudspeaker cabinet. About 9mm or 3/8" thick.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haven't planned what I'll do yet Steve. I bought a lens panel knowing (from the photos) it was actually a camera base, I wanted the brass tripod ring - turned out to be the base and complete focus rack for a whole plate camera, with some brass-work.

Ian

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin