Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,492   Posts: 1,542,973   Online: 878

Shooter
    Medium Format

MPP Monorail question

Does anyone know the thread and gauge of the decorative screws that screw into the top of the front and rear standards of the MPP Monorail? The same screws are used to lock the rise & fall etc. I neeed 2 of these, or, I need to buy four "nice looking" replacements to stop dirt and dust getting into the tubes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated - I live in a "metric" society where the only people who know of non-metric things hide in caves and are sworn to take their secrets with them to the grave... can't even buy a non metric thread guage set...

Thanks...

Mike E W

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If it is anything like my MPP Micro Technical, most threads will be B.A. - You'd probably find it worth visiting a model engineering shop rather than the likes of B&Q (if you're in the UK). Alternatively, if you can manage to measure a screw with a fair degree of accuracy, I can take a stab at guessing the thread size and having a rummage to see if I have anything that might fit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you, much appreciated - a micrometer reading says 0.304 inches / 7.72 mm measures outside the thread barrel, overall lenght is 0.621 inches / 15.78 mm. the round, finger-tightening knurled top (black and metal) is 0.601 inches /15.28 mm in dia and 0.251 inches / 6.37 mm thick. Looks as if it could be the same screw as the swing back locking knob on the MPP Micro tech cameras - the design appears to be identical, black and metal knurled grip with a leather(plastic?) insert on the top flat. These are probably "hen's teeth" items, but if you can identify the thread at least I can pop a couple of non-original replacements in the tops as dirt excluders.

I live on the west coast of Norway, City of Bergen, beautiful, but totally devoid of all that's not metric. (Apart from pints in the 3 Irish pubs we have)
    Thanks again, Mike E W

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Somebody on this site may be able to help you http://www.mppusers.com/
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike645 View Post
    Thank you, much appreciated - a micrometer reading says 0.304 inches / 7.72 mm measures outside the thread barrel, overall lenght is 0.621 inches / 15.78 mm. the round, finger-tightening knurled top (black and metal) is 0.601 inches /15.28 mm in dia and 0.251 inches / 6.37 mm thick. Looks as if it could be the same screw as the swing back locking knob on the MPP Micro tech cameras - the design appears to be identical, black and metal knurled grip with a leather(plastic?) insert on the top flat. These are probably "hen's teeth" items, but if you can identify the thread at least I can pop a couple of non-original replacements in the tops as dirt excluders.
    The locking screws on the micro-technical are 2BA (0.185" or 4.7mm). 0.304" is as near as damit 5/16", so it could be BSF or a Brass thread - Neither being a common size even here in the UK. I'll see what I can find in the box of bits and drop you a PM over the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, your a gentleman...

Mike E W

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Ben, I'm a member there... only one other with a monorail, no spares...

Thanks for the tip though...

Mike E W

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bad news - All the dies I have around that size are either UNC or screwball 32tpi/40tpi. No BSF or Brass I'm afraid.

Best solution I can offer is to find some plastic plugs to fill the holes to stop the dust & crud getting in there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks... amazingly enough I located a supplier in the UK who thinks he has some decorative screws that will fit - he has 4... Not original, but if they match and fit I'm happy.

I shall identify the thread and get a local engineering works to make some extension posts as well...

Thanks again, it's always nice to know that people are trying to help.
    Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin