Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,753   Posts: 1,483,915   Online: 1173

Shooter
    Medium Format

Removing Bellows from B+J 4x5 camera

Hey,

The GF wants me to strip her camera + refinish it.

Is there a suggested way to remove the bellows? Looks like they're glued in. Obviously I want to do as little damage as possible.

Thanks

Looks like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6x9bjfront.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	50046

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by false_Aesthetic View Post
    Hey,

The GF wants me to strip her camera + refinish it.

Is there a suggested way to remove the bellows? Looks like they're glued in. Obviously I want to do as little damage as possible.
    There is an old Burke & James at Central Piedmont Community College that I was wondering about restoring, and my investigation led me to this link. Might be useful information for you (if not exactly what you want to hear with regard to removing the bellows...). Maybe someone else with some experience working on these cameras can tell us more.
    “For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The link has it down. I'd go after it with a single edged razor blade or two and try to slip the blade between the bellows material and wood. With care you shouldn't do too much harm.
    If you do happen to damage it a little, use a frame inside the bellows to reinstall it with screws. 3/8X1/8" painted black. Basswood from the local hobby emporium or craft store should do.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I went down this road once... Mine a grey Ansco 4x/5x 7.
    Stripped it refinished and had a beautiful and still marginally useful camera.
    I'd leave it as is and go buy what you seek.
    If you enjoy the process as I did so be it.
    Warning... that paint may have lead in it... likely does.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin