Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,406   Online: 939

Shooter
    Multi Format

Things ain't what they used to be

I was reading the Chamonix review in the other thread and the part about the instructions prompted me to post this.

My first new LF purchase since the early-mid 90s. I just received my (brand new) Schneider 90mm SA XL with center filter. Pretty wimpy packaging. No instruction book either. Ok you don't need a lot of instructions for a lens, but still, you should at least get something showing you how to mount the lens onto a board in case you don't already know. Maybe some standard "caring for your lens" instructions. I used to always enjoy reading those things, even if they were useless. It was part of the overall purchase experience when you spent big $.

The center filter was even more disappointing. I guess they assume it will be on the lens all the time (they really shouldn't assume that), so they don't even give you a hard case for it. Seriously? It comes with a shabby looking lens cap on the large (front) side, and nothing on the back. They give you a pouch to keep it in, but no hard case so there is no protection for the back of the filter. I expected this thing to come in a larger version of the plastic clamshell boxes you get when you buy filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can always grab an old watch or jewelry clamshell from you sig/other.

I always find interesting pouches and cases in the junk drawer of the master bath

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree that in the case of Schneider, a long standing established company, some simple documentation, and customer care items might be nice.

In the case of Chamonix, I know that this company operates part time, on a shoestring, building cheap, solid cameras when enough customers are in line. Their operation is essentially virtual, and I'm not surprised at the missing documentation. Given the price of the camera, versus the quality, I'm ok with what is missing.

I guess for folks like us, buying a field camera is like buying a chair. When the chair arrives, they don't provide instructions on how to sit! I think Hass, the owner of Chamonix and a LF photographer himself, operates on that principle. He knows he is selling LF cameras to people who know exactly what they want (in fact, you can ask for customizations and they'll do it - pretty nice I think).

In my other post, I was serious about writing some sort of operating manual. If I get the time, I'll do it and donate it to Chamonix.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm surprised about the filter - I recently bought a used Schneider center filter for my 90 SA XL and it did come in a plastic box. Maybe they've given up on that, but at the prices they charge for the CF's, that's very unfortunate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess they're just selling less and less of these things and have to cut wherever they can. It still kind of sucks though.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin