Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,649   Online: 856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help, can anyone please clarify 2 X 3 format for me?

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place - I'm teetering around in that grey area between medium and large format...

I ordered some plate holders on eeeBeeeGeeeBay.

Fidelity, looked very nice and clean, the seller despatched them promptly and I got them for a nice low price.

Now the bad news. He had described them as 'Quarter Plate'.

Nope... I could see straight away they were smaller than that. Oh hum, either kick up a fuss... or use them for something else?

I measured them up, thinking they must be 2.5 by 3.5 inch. (6.5 X 9 cm).

Nope.. smaller than that

6 X 9, then? 2.25 X 3.25 inch?

NOPE - not quite

On a lot of American sites I have seen baby speed graphic described as 2 X 3. I assumed, maybe wrongly, that these were really 2.25 X 3.25 inch, but this had been abbreviated to 2 X 3 for brevity.

Can anyone clarify this, please?

The holders actually seem to be 55 by 90 or so millimetres, which is about 2.1 by 3,5 inches. I can not slip a strip of 120 roll film into the holder, it is too narrow... I had assumed that 120 roll film would be the same width as 2.25 cut film. Again, maybe wrongly.

Is there in fact a 2 X 3 inch size?

Or is 2 1/1/4 inch in roll-film speak different to 2 1/4" in sheet film speak?

Thanks.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes there's a US 2x3 format, see Wikipedia, and that's what was used with the baby Graflex and similar cameras.

If you're buying modern International sized Fidelity holders I don't think these were made in Quarter plate only 9x12 (same outside dimensions as 5x4).

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-03-2012 at 06:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your using a 4x5 omega enlarger I think I have a couple 2x3 cut film holders.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi stev

i think sometimes they were exactly 2x3,
    and sometimes the 1/2 ... 1/4 were dropped for ease
    http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/graphic-models.html
    has a table of all the graflex and graphic models
    and they are 2 1/2 x3 1/4 ... just like its larger cousin was the 3 1/2 x4 1/4
    i have a graphic "23" roll back for my 4x5 camera ( that isn't really 4x5 either, but 3 7/8 x 4 7/8 )
    but there were several different models of that back
    i always thought the roll film back was 2x3" but it turns out they weren't ...
    they were ... 2-5/16 x 3-1/8 and 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 ...

have fun with your new camera, and if you find the mini roll film back for it,
    GRAB IT, they don't surface too often

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I remember right 120 roll film is larger then 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet film. Two different sizes of carriers are used in enlargers. I have both types for my 23C.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film size 2-1/4 x 3-1/4

As stated, the baby Speed Graphic or Crown Graphic takes a sheet film holder for size 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 sheet film. The image size (gate size of the film holder) is 2x3.

For roll film, the same cameras can use a rollfilm holder and produce an image that is roughly 2x2 or 2x3 (as well as some other formats).

For my Beseler 23C II enlarger, there are negative carriers for the roll film as well as the sheet film. The carrier #8060 is for roll film with a 2x2 size and the carrier #8062 is for roll film with a 2x3 size. The negative carrier #8063 is for 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 sheet film.

I believe that there is also a metric size for sheet film of 6.5 x 9.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Mamiya Press is listed as 6X9 cm or 2X3 in. 2X3 is an abbreviation for 2 1/4 X 3 1/4. The cut film holders won't take a piece of 120 film; it's too wide. If I buy 6X9 cut film, it fits fine. Moral is, you can't cut 120 film and use it because it's wider. You might not like it anyway, as it is also thinner. Cut film is on a thicker base.
    I've been using EFKE 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 http://www.freestylephoto.biz/191523...ets?cat_id=404

For more confulion, check the charts on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_format Now I'm more confused than ever. Over to you, John. You explained much more simply.
    Last edited by bsdunek; 05-03-2012 at 09:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add Wikipedia reference
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you would like to get some sheet film in 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 size, The annual Ilford ULF special order is happening soon. You could order some FP4+ or HP5+ in this size.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys... it appears the answer is that 2 1/4" sheet film is narrow than 120 roll film.

Alas, I have no camera (or enlarger) for these holders, just the holders! I was hoping for quarter plate holders, I have several quarter plate cameras.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a very good reason to get another camera and enlarger .

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin