Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,927   Posts: 1,522,145   Online: 956

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You're right, the brasswork for the rear remains exposed - I should have made it clear I was refering to the front standard..
    The Chamonix certainly looks like a nice camera and it a relief to hear that the screws are captive - Something that isn't clear from the photos. Maybe a camera to consider should I tire of my Wista.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    You're right, the brasswork for the rear remains exposed - I should have made it clear I was refering to the front standard..
    The Chamonix certainly looks like a nice camera and it a relief to hear that the screws are captive - Something that isn't clear from the photos. Maybe a camera to consider should I tire of my Wista.
    I've spent many happy years with my Wista. I've known her longer than my wife! Indeed, when, to justify the purchase of the Chamonix, I told my wife I would sell the Wista, she said no, maybe we should keep it.

But, for closeup work, the Chamonix is a joy to use. For landscape work, other than axial tilt on the front standard, it is probably close to a wash in terms of basic capabilities. But it is much more rigid, and a little lighter. Both count for something outdoors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I have been using a Toyo 45CF for the past two days with a 90, 135 and 180 lens, lots of fun. One thing I can tell I will miss with the Chamonix is being able to leave the tiny 135 Apo Sironar on the 45CF when closed. The other is the fact that the CF when closed is kind of a "Self-Protecting" camera while the 45N-2 is more open.

In short, had I never heard of the Chamonix, I would be pretty happy with the 45CF.

But I have a question, I have lens indicators on the rails that have made the 45CF easy to set up, how do I translate that ease to picking the right hole for the front standard on the Chamonix in terms of selecting lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    <snip>I have lens indicators on the rails that have made the 45CF easy to set up, how do I translate that ease to picking the right hole for the front standard on the Chamonix in terms of selecting lenses?
    I intend to use experience and memory... I'll have to acquire some of each before I can apply them though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So I have been using a Toyo 45CF for the past two days with a 90, 135 and 180 lens, lots of fun. One thing I can tell I will miss with the Chamonix is being able to leave the tiny 135 Apo Sironar on the 45CF when closed. The other is the fact that the CF when closed is kind of a "Self-Protecting" camera while the 45N-2 is more open.

In short, had I never heard of the Chamonix, I would be pretty happy with the 45CF.

But I have a question, I have lens indicators on the rails that have made the 45CF easy to set up, how do I translate that ease to picking the right hole for the front standard on the Chamonix in terms of selecting lenses?
    Well, there are a fixed set of holes. My 90 goes in the rearmost, my 135 works in the second one from the rear (tried it in the third, it seemed to like the 2nd better). Macro use may require moving them to more forward holes.

Unless you have a really difficult time remembering things, it should be pretty easy to remember which hole to use. If you do find it difficult, you could always tape on a reminder to either the lens board or to the bed. Or if you don't mind something more permanent, you could write with a white or silver permanent marker on the bed itself, which is made of carbon fiber.

Regarding self protection - the bellows itself seems well protected. The metal surface edges are exposed. Doesn't bother me much, it goes back in my padded bag after use. Not sure what further protection it would need. Certainly none of these cameras are dust sealed, so I'm not sure one style gives anything more than a placebo effect over another in terms of protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My 45N-2 EMS tracking says to be departing Hangzhou China, any ideas on how long it takes to get to the U.S. from that point?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No idea, but I'm pretty sure EMS will ship by air. They probably have to go from Hangzhou by truck to Shanghai (just a few hours), then probably LA or San Francisco. I'd give it 3 days, not sure about weekends.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check sent, Woot!!!

Now, will any Linhoff board do? I need two Copal-0 and one Copal-1, should I get a recessed Copal-0 for my 90mm 6.8 Caltar?
    Definitely no recessed board necessary. Here is a 65mm with a flat board on the 045n-2 (front standard in second hole from rear, back standard slid fully forward). - focus no issue whatsoever:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7177773378_309f397b60_b.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	50933

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leon, that is great to hear...

Now that bad news, I might be selling the 45N-2 before I even use it since I have just found out I can not shoot infrared film with it because of the fabric used in the bellows, a deal breaker that would have been great to know before I ordered it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as I am aware, the bellows material has been changed since the reports on IR leakage. I'd email Hugo to see where they are at with it unless of course he gave you the information in the first place?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin