Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,053   Online: 911

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leon, Hugo wrote back and confirmed that the 45N-2 bellows are not IR safe.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 05-13-2012 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Update for relevance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Leon, that is great to hear...

Now that bad news, I might be selling the 45N-2 before I even use it since I have just found out I can not shoot infrared film with it because of the fabric used in the bellows, a deal breaker that would have been great to know before I ordered it.
    In the worst case, the bellows is removable. If Chamonix has not dealt with this, perhaps you can find a replacement bellows. I don't know how feasible that is but it might beat a wholesale swap of the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't you just wrap the bellows with an infrared reflective cloth before shooting?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Used a flat board on the n1 with the 47mm XL on problem but it's a bit tight with n2 so use a 15mm recessed one.
    J.
    I prefer it in the dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am certainly open to suggestions, but it has to be a lightweight, not bulky solution. For example, I have no interest in owning a dark cloth, because it only serves one purpose, can not be worn as a layer of clothing in an emergency at high altitude while a dark mid weight layer can be used as a dark cloth such as when I was shooting at just over 12,000 feet last night...

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Can't you just wrap the bellows with an infrared reflective cloth before shooting?
    What about a Mylar emergency blanket? Back in my amateur astronomy days we used to use it as material for solar filters. I have a few of those blankets lying around. What I might do is sacrifice one for an experiment. I would fold it twice to create four layers and the tape it into an easy to use form that I can wrap the bellows at the infinity setting of my longest lens.

Otherwise, I am looking for other solutions...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 05-13-2012 at 05:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought of a Mylar blanket too but wasn't sure if it was IR reflective. Then it hit me... of course it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My first (and hopefully my last) complaint about this camera: the leather wrap's glue does not appear sufficient to hold the wrap against the bottom underside of the bed. It pulls away from its own weight as the camera sits on the tripod. I tried a tiny bit of epoxy, but that didn't fix it. In fact, the epoxy was instantly absorbed by the leather, and provided absolutely no adhesion, so DON'T DO IT! I'll be contacting Hugo for assistance, but in the mean time, I'm finding that accessory to be unsatisfactory (though it looks great when wrapped and snapped shut).

Here is a shot from my first outing yesterday. This was taken at the Ancient Observatory in Beijing. I didn't get to finish my composition, because it started raining. I ended up having to take the shot I had, rather than doing the minor repositioning I really wanted to do - you can see the first fat drops of rain on the near dragon's body. But the day did serve my primary purpose of proving that the camera operated properly in the field, and most importantly, got the focus right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qilin.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	365.3 KB 
ID:	50979 (Chamonix 045N-2, Schneider 135mm f5.6, TMax 100)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Regarding "getting the focus right" on that dragon shot. This was shot at f/16, with swing to bring the two dragons and far window into focus. In my hurry I didn't notice that the swing was starting to vignette in right side corners.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chuck - re the leather wrap. Mine was exactly the same. And, it dangled down like a sail in the wind, obscuring the tripod controls. Not very practical really. I've come up with a solution for the dangling (see here, about half way down). As for the adhesive. I took the leather wrap off, and re-covered the adhesive surface with 3M™ Adhesive Transfer Tape 467MP. It has done the trick perfectly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nice post, Leon. Sorry to read about your other problems. Mine didn't come with scratches or alignment issues. Luck of the draw, I guess. I'll look for the 3M tape. But I'm in China, it may be impossible to find here...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin