Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,796   Online: 947

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chuck, I'd forgo the potentially messy spray and use a 2" strip of industrial level sticky back Velcro, putting some reinforcing stitches in the side that goes on the leather. I bought a 30 foot roll of the stuff for all kinds of household things like affixing removable pouches in my camper to hanging my RH Designs Process Master-2 and Paper Flasher on the wall of my darkroom, it has been worth the effort.

Leather is inherently porous so I think that even though it will sit raised on the Velcro, running three rows of stitching lengthwise down the Velcro on the leather would be a better long term solution with little to no goo left on the camera should you opt out of that method. I would not be too happy if I had to use a petroleum based product on carbon fiber to remove a failed adhesive...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Chuck, I'd forgo the potentially messy spray and use a 2" strip of industrial level sticky back Velcro, putting some reinforcing stitches in the side that goes on the leather. I bought a 30 foot roll of the stuff for all kinds of household things like affixing removable pouches in my camper to hanging my RH Designs Process Master-2 and Paper Flasher on the wall of my darkroom, it has been worth the effort.

Leather is inherently porous so I think that even though it will sit raised on the Velcro, running three rows of stitching lengthwise down the Velcro on the leather would be a better long term solution with little to no goo left on the camera should you opt out of that method. I would not be too happy if I had to use a petroleum based product on carbon fiber to remove a failed adhesive...
    Yes, exactly what I was thinking on my way home tonight. My only concern is whether the velcro backing will stick to the carbon fiber, but I think you are right - the problem is the absorbent leather. I thought epoxy would bind in the porus leather structure but it just wicks completely away from the surface before it can cure. So I already have a bit of expoxy left on the carbon fiber, but not enough to fret over (but further motivation to get the leather well attached!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    Yes, exactly what I was thinking on my way home tonight. My only concern is whether the velcro backing will stick to the carbon fiber, but I think you are right - the problem is the absorbent leather. I thought epoxy would bind in the porus leather structure but it just wicks completely away from the surface before it can cure. So I already have a bit of expoxy left on the carbon fiber, but not enough to fret over (but further motivation to get the leather well attached!)
    Goo Gone will do the trick without leaving a mess or risking potential damage to the CF underside. I just use small folded up sections of paper towel and keep saturating the sticky stuff. Then once done, wipe off the oily Goo Gone residue with Windex or rubbing alcohol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Got three Chamonix 4x5 film holders in the mail today....wow are these beautifully made!
    I highly recommend them...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    update regarding the 3m adhesive with the leather wrap.

The weather here has warmed up in the past week and is now about 25˚c/77˚f . The adhesive has given up the ghost and the wrap is dangling in a sticky mess.

I've given up with trying to permanently attach it to be honest. The adhesive was easy to remove from the camera base, and any residual marks came off with alcohol wipes and a final effort with a rubber eraser. Getting it off the wrap was more difficult, and in the end I've had to use thin paper tissue stuck to the remaining adhesive to act as a barrier layer.

I think it's going to be a PITA to use it in the field now what with having to take the wrap off before I pop the camera on a tripod each time.

The wrap is a nice idea, and aesthetically, it looks great ... but it is entirely impractical and a waste of money really - unless you only use it to store the camera in - but the cloth wrap does a better job of that.

L.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    update regarding the 3m adhesive with the leather wrap.

The weather here has warmed up in the past week and is now about 25˚c/77˚f . The adhesive has given up the ghost and the wrap is dangling in a sticky mess.

I've given up with trying to permanently attach it to be honest. The adhesive was easy to remove from the camera base, and any residual marks came off with alcohol wipes and a final effort with a rubber eraser. Getting it off the wrap was more difficult, and in the end I've had to use thin paper tissue stuck to the remaining adhesive to act as a barrier layer.

I think it's going to be a PITA to use it in the field now what with having to take the wrap off before I pop the camera on a tripod each time.

The wrap is a nice idea, and aesthetically, it looks great ... but it is entirely impractical and a waste of money really - unless you only use it to store the camera in - but the cloth wrap does a better job of that.

L.
    Yeah. Hugo offered me a full refund. I haven't taken it. Have you considered Velcro?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe Hugo can supply you guys with replacement leather wraps sans the glue?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Maybe Hugo can supply you guys with replacement leather wraps sans the glue?
    They are somewhat awkward if not permanently attached. The cloth wrap (standard accessory) is actually a perfectly reasonable alternative. I haven't given up yet, but I think the solution is a thin strap of some sort running across the top of the bed, parallel to the focus track. Perhaps a narrow velcro strip, connecting to velcro attached (sewed on) to the leather.

Basically, the glue attachment (which is how the velcro would attach to the base) has to be put into shear stress instead of peel stress. But frankly, it just isn't that big a value to have it on the camera. It is a great concept, faulty implementation. And really, it takes absolutely nothing away from the camera's performance to lose it. In fact, you shed weight by not using it.

Too bad it looks so damn good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well... maybe you folks can convert them for use as leather "fig leaves". You might need a couple of them depending on coverage needs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes! Jock straps! Perfect!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin