Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,672   Online: 1191

Shooter
    Medium Format

MPP Monorail again

The camera has, in common with many others, several small spirit level bubbles. These are about 10 mm long and in clear glass (or plastic). One is broken, and I'm looking for a replacement to buy. Can anyone out there help?

And.. Bag bellows for these cameras are impossible (almost) to obtain, so I purchased a nice Sinar bag bellows. I was aware that it probably wouldn't fit. However, even at 68 the old grey cells still work and I love a challenge. Using plasticine (modelling clay) I intend to imprint the required form for a new frame using my standard bellows, then fill in the depression with Pro-epoxy - incredibly strong stuff - and before it dries place a pre-cut frame in aluminium or steel on top of the moulded epoxy - using a jig to ensure 100% accuracy in placement - and pressing lightly to spread the epoxy over the full width of the frame. The aluminium will be roughened to ensure adhesion, as will the flats and the "receiving" Sinar frames. The process will be done twice - once for each end. The whole thing will then be left to cure for several days. The next step will be to overfill the groove on the Sinar bellows with Pro-epoxy and - again using a jig - place the "new" frame in place. More waiting for the cure to be complete, and then repeat the process at the other end. I will then have a bag bellows for my MPP with slightly thicker frames. All I have to do now is carry out the plan. If there is interest I can document the whole process and supply images.

And to think, if it was digital I'd probably have to throw it away...

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike645 View Post
    The camera has, in common with many others, several small spirit level bubbles. These are about 10 mm long and in clear glass (or plastic). One is broken, and I'm looking for a replacement to buy.
    I had suggested the vials out of a cheap spirit level - Just measured the ones I used in a little project. They are 25mm long and 10mm diameter. A lot bigger than you'd want.. Give Walker Cameras a try or failing that, give your local Sinar agent a call.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Yes, keep us in the loop, especially with the need to modify available bits to replace no longer available bits this sort of story is of great interest to all us keeping gear working - Or in the case of a C&N 10x8 Tackyhara never been available bits to start it working

(Tackyhara is spelled correctly and C&N = cheap and nasty)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, for tip and OK I'll use my little finepix to document the process - if it works I'll submit the pics...
    Anyone who is familiar with Bergen in western Norway will not be surpised to know it's raining here...

.... again.
    A pleasant weekend to all.

Mike :-)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin