Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,788   Online: 903

Shooter
    Large Format

My first 4x5 shot ever....

Here is my first ever photo taken with a 4x5. Shot on TMax 100, developed in D-76 1:1 for 11:15. I believe the exposure was 1/15th at ƒ/22. Taken with a Horseman L45 and a Rodenstock 210mm. Just scanned, cropped with minor level adjustments.

I didn't have a spot meter so I took an ambient reading in the direct sunlight, and another in the shadows and adjusted from there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SH.jpg  
    Last edited by Shootar401; 05-07-2012 at 07:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks like you're all set!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nice, I wish my first shot was as interesting. The first thing you notice is the words are legible, then you can look closer and see they are crisp and clear. Wouldn't be surprised if you could see chisel marks on closer examination.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This was my first time using TMax in 10 years also. I just now realized that I didn't tilt the back after correcting for distortion using the front standard. Oh well. My second shot of the day, at an abandoned building was out of focus. I think it happened when I inserted the film holder I remember something moving, but didn't think too much about it. I also only had 77mm filters, not 67mm that my lens takes. So I ended up holding the filter in front of the lens. I already ordered a step-up ring.

Images
    IIRC my first large format shot ever was half blank. I did not pull the dark slide out all the way.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    ... I just now realized that I didn't tilt the back after correcting for distortion using the front standard.
    What kind of distortion were you trying to correct by tilting the front standard? I don't understand how that would relate to tilting the back standard, which is what you would normally do to control perspective.

Congrats on your first shot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chuck - I'm guessing he tilted the camera up, then tilted the lens standard forward (instead of just raising the front standard), then had to tilt the back forward to recover parallel to the lens, so, same relationship as just raising the front standard, just more work. I've seen people do this.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin