Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,532,000   Online: 1189

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry for not being more clear. I'm looking for a loupe for viewing a ground glass.

Also, I don't live anywhere near any place that sells loupes, so I have to buy online and hope I get a good one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've started using a magnifying glass instead.

It's easier with glasses.

It's easier to hold, and see the very edges of the ground glass.

It doesn't need to sit on the surface you want to look at, and varying the distance between the magnifying glass and subject can vary the magnification.

It fits easier in a pocket.

They are available very I expensively, even locally.

They can be used as a LF lens f you feel like it.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a pair of +6 reading glasses. I've yet to try them but I'll bet they work very well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a 50mm lens for the lightbox, and an $8 Beseler loupe that i attached to a lanyard for GG focusing.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Those cheap Agfa branded ones are good... I use and adjustable one from Calumet also... has sliding black sleeve and frosted base.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I use a 10x Peak. I am happy with it and have been since 1988. I paid about $50 for it, new, from McMaster-Carr.
    I'd advise you to try several different loupes if you can before settling on one.
    I have several loupes 4x to 15X, but the 10X Peak I use is a $19.95 model that is nice and small. I used to use it for chromes but lately have the base taped black and a lanyard taped on it to use with my 501CM with the finder off, it will be perfect for the 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    I had the same problem a few years ago.
    Unfortunately, I did not find the prices that I encountered, to be fair.
    And, I was always being outbid whenever I found one that I could appreciate.
    So, I made my own, I found a chintzy enlarger lens, and combined it with an
    1 1/2" PVC Trap Adapter, it just happened to be a perfect fit, to allow for the
    proper focus on the ground glass. Drilled a hole in one of the tabs, and attached
    an Op/Tech Strap, and slapped a PVC Cap on it for protection, and a wee bit
    O'Stylishness when it's not being used. Total cost was less than $10.00 !

The Older I Get, The Frugaler I Get !

Ron
    Now, that is a great idea! I've got a pretty good enlarger lens I'm not currently using.........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am also looking to get a proper loupe for GG focussing. I've been using Jupiter-9 85mm lens but this is very cumbersome.

So, sum it up ..
    There is no difference (in usage) between neg/slide loupe and GG focusing loupe, right?
    Anything that is about 4x mag or higher and long enough is good enough?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got done shooting a few sheets with my newly aquirred 180mm 5.6 Apo Symmar, I was using my 15x peak loupe until the 10x gets here. In the ground glass I could see the full bodies of ants on aspen trees some 20 feet away....maybe the 15x is the loupe after all.......

X. Phot.
    I've always used the lens assemblies from the front of old slide-projectors for focusing on the focusing screen, and for viewing negatives on a light table. They come in various focal lengths.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin