Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,740   Posts: 1,515,553   Online: 1051

Shooter
    Medium Format

Viewfinder Glass

Here's one for you guys:

If a Graflex viewing screen consists of one piece of ground glass then why does a Graflok back have two pieces of glass, a ground glass then, what appears to be, a Fresnal lens? Do you need both? The Fresnal lens alone is very bright but it has an extra bright circle within the viewing frame when viewed without the diffuser.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    not sure, but when I put a fresnel lens into my rollei on top of the ground glass it gets a lot brighter. I suspect the fresnel acts as a lens (which is what it is, essentially) while the frosted glass is still the flat surface on which the image is projected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fresnel focuses (columnates actually) the image a bit making the ground glass (GG) appear brighter.

BTW, the the fresnel should be on the lens side of the GG, with the rings toward the GG. The ground side of the GG should be against the frensel. I mention that because I have seen many Graphics with them put in any which way. Sorting that out is the first step in fixing focus problems with the cameras.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin