Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,684   Online: 710

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post
    Everything survived absolutely intact.
    Including the Suburban?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    The pack is belted in tight, but the tripod slammed the glove box, but it's ok.
    Except the tripod is now asking to ride in back.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I was bicycling from one end of NZ to the other with my 4x5. I kept my lens in the right front pannier (the idea was if I crashed, I'd protect that side). The camera pack and pod were on the back of the bike -- on top of the rear rack behind the seat...seemed to be the safest place.

On Christmas Day, I lost control in deeper gravel on a gravel road and drifted off the road on a curve and into a bunch of rocks. I went over the handle bars -- so much for "protecting" anything! I waited a few days to get the courage to go through all the camera equipment, but all was fine.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Driving across the flatlands Illinois, not a hill or policeman in sight and very little traffic. Had the throttle pegged somewhere around the 60 mark and just minding my own business... On hitting the outskirts of a one horse town, I slowed to 30(ish) and watched the long line of trucks parked up on the adjacent railroad. Decided to turn off the main street and over the level crossing. As I went over the rail tracks at around 30, it suddenly dawned on me that this part of Illinois wasn't quite as flat as I thought. The road dropped by about ten feet and I was doing a Dukes of Hazzard kinda stunt. The front bumper gouged a lump out of the tarmac and all the luggage in the back impacted on the roof - Thankfully, it was a rental car and no lasting damage was done to the contents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you've got ABS brakes, sometime when you're not carrying camera gear or have other cars near you, get going about 60-70mph and put the brake pedal to the floor and keep it there till you stop. Be sure your seatbelt is extra tight. If your brakes are good, it can be a pretty physical deceleration. A newer sporty car with good tires on a good surface, and you'll wonder why your eyeballs didn't pop out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in my drag racing days I had rigged my Nikkormat with a shutter cable in the back of my car, 1994 Ford Probe GT with 100-shot nitrous.

Car would snap off a 13.4 @ 105mph roasting through 2nd gear, the one time I had a good launch off the tree was when I had my tripod standing up in the hatch looking forward, was doing 1/30 sec on a 35/2.8 to blur the surroundings. Got off the line on motor, hit the spray in 2nd gear and the whole assembly fell back onto hard metal because I had removed the interior from the front seats backward to shave weight. I thought for a split-second I destroyed my transmission (did on the last pass of the night at the top of 3rd gear @ 100-ish, Mazda G25M-r's just aren't made for that kind of power) but realized I only destroyed my camera.

As in typical 60's Nikon F-mount fashion, everything was fine. Lens and body survived, I still shoot the exact setup to this day.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    Back in my drag racing days I had rigged my Nikkormat with a shutter cable in the back of my car, 1994 Ford Probe GT with 100-shot nitrous.
    More than one reason it's called laughing gas.

Car would snap off a 13.4 @ 105mph roasting through 2nd gear, the one time I had a good launch off the tree was when I had my tripod standing up in the hatch looking forward, was doing 1/30 sec on a 35/2.8 to blur the surroundings. Got off the line on motor, hit the spray in 2nd gear and the whole assembly fell back onto hard metal because I had removed the interior from the front seats backward to shave weight. I thought for a split-second I destroyed my transmission (did on the last pass of the night at the top of 3rd gear @ 100-ish, Mazda G25M-r's just aren't made for that kind of power) but realized I only destroyed my camera.

As in typical 60's Nikon F-mount fashion, everything was fine. Lens and body survived, I still shoot the exact setup to this day.
    Still, sounds like a coupla bungee cords wrapped tight woulda been a good idea.
    Last edited by lxdude; 05-12-2012 at 10:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't really appreciate the ABS brakes in my Grand Cherokee till a few weeks ago. I was coming home from a day of shooting doing around 60. Just about to pass an onramp when out of nowhere another SUV comes flying in from the right and merges almost into me. I hit the brakes hard and avoided a collision by inches. Luckily the cameras and my favorite border collie were securely belted in the back seat. No damage to either but 2 90lb.sacks of concrete I had just bought bent the rear seat back a bit. Now I fully respect those great ABS brakes!

Shooter
    Holga
    Painful memories.
    I have a small Yaris and the rear cargo area behind the back seats is a good spot to pack the LF gear. Any heavy braking, and provided the vehicle stays upright, the gear remains in place - no problem.

And so it did a few weeks back when, while on my way out towards Kinglake, I spooked a fully grown adult kangaroo on the side of the road. I wasn't going too fast - thankfully, braked hard, but the roo got confused, ran into me ( instead of away from me) and stumbled off with an obvious broken leg. I called for a ranger and hung around while we tried to find it, before it was put out of its misery.

....that put me off for the rest of the day.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Including the Suburban?
    Just needed a new rear bumper. He paid for the repairs and the rental truck, of course.

Fortunately, this happened at 2 AM in the middle of nowhere, with not another car in sight. I had pulled off onto an adjacent section of brand-new highway that had not yet been opened. I always wondered what the highway guys thought - "Road's not even open, and we've got to replace a section of guardrail already".

Charley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin