Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,942   Online: 785

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tested the newly rec'd shenhao ptb bellows this week with some old konica ir. The regular exposures were fine. Pulling the darkslide for a couple minutes resulted in a bit of fog but still much more usable than the chamonix bellows. The leather shenhao bag bellows woulf be yhe way to go if you use 210mm or shorter, you just need to check them for vignetting if it's windy or you've touched the bellows at all. Badgergraphic.com
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Hi Maris,

But I have a much bigger problem to deal with, the bellows on my soon to be delivered Chamonix are not IR safe. I am looking to make a flexible wrap out of designed for NASA IR Blocker mylar material...or a cheap Mylar emergency blanket if it works...
    Might I suggest taking some aluminum (aluminium) foil along. When you are all 'set to go' insert the film holder and cover the bellows with the metal foil...
    remove the darkslide... make the exposure.... re-insert darkslide (the other way around 8-)...) remove fiilm holder... remove metal foil...

Repeat as required.

Ken
    Last edited by KenS; 05-13-2012 at 09:09 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelin
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand where you are coming from in suggesting foil but in my experience it is no where near as effective as mylar in creating long term problem solving. I would only use foil in a pinch, not as professional solution.

Quote Originally Posted by KenS View Post
    Might I suggest taking some aluminum (aluminium) foil along. When you are all 'set to go' insert the film holder and cover the bellows with the metal foil...
    remove the darkslide... make the exposure.... re-insert darkslide (the other way around 8-)...) remove fiilm holder... remove metal foil...

Repeat as required.

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I understand where you are coming from in suggesting foil but in my experience it is no where near as effective as mylar in creating long term problem solving. I would only use foil in a pinch, not as professional solution.
    I am amused by your reactions to the Chamonix bellows and IR.

1.) He is at fault for not putting on his website a fact that affect 0.00134% of all photos taken by users of his cameras.
    2.) The number of professionals who use IR film is pretty small. So any solution would be just that, a solution. In photography school we didn't have a class for "Professional Solutions to weird problems".
    3.) If this is an issue you can't live with, either return the camera or get one of the fine bellows makers to make you a suitable solution bellows.
    4.) If you were truly professional, you would have done your homework.

Good luck.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are a bit off base and out of line here bud...

Hugo has been great through this, offering to take the camera back for a full refund which I am not going to do. Any information a company can give a customer in regards to limitations in their products is putting your best foot forward, end of story.

The number of photographers using IR film for effect in fine art has actually increased since Efke, Ilford and Rollei have started offering products, certainly by enough to make niche camera makers with hot new technology like the 45N-2 at least consider this. Sure, use of IR is not as wide spread as Tri-X, Acros or Delta, but it is popular.

I think you are misunderstanding what I mean by a professional solution, I mean long term as in either new bellows or a high tech wrap that won't wear out fast like plain foil. I design and fabricate custom gear all the time, as a professional commercial and editorial photographer who's work is often in remote and harsh places, I can not rely on mainstream accessories to accomplish my tasks....thankfully, I enjoy using this part of my mind. I never said I expect Chamonix to fix my bellows or make some NASA level wrap...

And there is only so much homework one can do, right? I mean if you are spending all day on the Internet pouring over details, you are not out shooting or in the darkroom printing. So you have to rely on the manufacturer to a degree to get at least some guidance. It's pretty obvious Chamonix makes one of the most state of the art field cameras out there, but the lack of simple things like even an instruction manual indicate to me that there is room for improvement, what's new? I am sure Hugo considers all of this and plans to implement these improvements when time and the limitations of running a for profit company permit.

I did my homework Tim, it would seem by your reaction to my post that you did not.

Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    I am amused by your reactions to the Chamonix bellows and IR.

1.) He is at fault for not putting on his website a fact that affect 0.00134% of all photos taken by users of his cameras.
    2.) The number of professionals who use IR film is pretty small. So any solution would be just that, a solution. In photography school we didn't have a class for "Professional Solutions to weird problems".
    3.) If this is an issue you can't live with, either return the camera or get one of the fine bellows makers to make you a suitable solution bellows.
    4.) If you were truly professional, you would have done your homework.

Good luck.

tim in san jose
    Last edited by PKM-25; 05-15-2012 at 06:55 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: iPhone's small keypad pre-dawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hugo has known about this since the 45n-1 when I inquired about it. I did suggest at that time for it to be mentioned on their site. However, he doesn't run the company. He IS a great guy whom i've met on a number of occasions.
    You may also find that when using extreme rise that the bellows will get in the way of the film about to be exposed. I always stop down before inserting a holder or pop off the back to check in those cases/switch to bag bellows.
    Last edited by wildbill; 05-15-2012 at 07:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vinny, I have read that about the bellows when compressed with a wide, I'll be on the lookout for it with the 90 & 65 for sure. I get the camera either today or tomorrow by the looks of tracking...

Rollei and Efke IR films do not stretch far into the IR like Kodak IR did, so I wouldn't worry about focus compensation. I use Efke IR and don't bother compensating, even shooting at f/11 with opaque IR filter #87.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=PKM-25;1343589]Vinny, I have read that about the bellows when compressed with a wide, I'll be on the lookout for it with the 90 & 65 for sure. I get the camera either today or tomorrow by the looks of tracking...[/QUOT
    What I was speaking of wasn't the issue with the bellows covering a portion of the rear element but of the bellows covering the projected image on the film plane. It even happens with my 210mm if I use maximum rise with drop bed movements. Saying that, this IS a field camera not a studio camera and those movements are rarely needed.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    What I was speaking of wasn't the issue with the bellows covering a portion of the rear element but of the bellows covering the projected image on the film plane. It even happens with my 210mm if I use maximum rise with drop bed movements. Saying that, this IS a field camera not a studio camera and those movements are rarely needed.
    OK that is different, I'll take that into consideration, thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin