Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,577   Online: 874

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Rollei and Efke IR films do not stretch far into the IR like Kodak IR did, so I wouldn't worry about focus compensation. I use Efke IR and don't bother compensating, even shooting at f/11 with opaque IR filter #87.
    How are you getting along with the Efke stuff?

I shot a few rolls of it in 120 about 4 years ago before they updated it and horrible coating defects. The reason I like the Rollei stuff is that the grain is tight, it is sharp and does not halo, great if you want the tonality of IR but not the HIE grain and look. The only thing I am not enjoying with the Rollei in 4x5 is how darn thin the base is, what a pain to load!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First off, I am not your bud.
    Second, I am an engineer, a professional who is trained to figure out the x's and y's of everything possible before committing to a solution. And it's not my money you dumped into a piece of equipment that doesn't work for what you bought it for.

That said, I don't mess with infrared, never liked it in the first place when I did. But since you do, good luck with whatever your solution.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    First off, I am not your bud.
    Second, I am an engineer, a professional who is trained to figure out the x's and y's of everything possible before committing to a solution. And it's not my money you dumped into a piece of equipment that doesn't work for what you bought it for.

That said, I don't mess with infrared, never liked it in the first place when I did. But since you do, good luck with whatever your solution.

tim in san jose
    You are an engineer, you are trained to sit in front of a computer, I am a photographer, I am trained to be out shooting and use photographic process, that is where we differ.

Also, I do a variety of searches before I conclude that I will buy something. But invariably, if we are actual photographers who are not at the computer a lot, we do find out some things a bit later than others and then more decisions have to be made as to either change products we have chosen or find a solution. In this case, by posting this thread that is not covered in this manner on this site in any historical thread I can find, the homework you think I am not doing is actually getting done.

I will post my solution here, most likely a combo of commando cloth, aluminum foil and or multi-layer mylar. That along with everyone else's posts will help to further educate and guide others who may do a search like I did.....in polite request, your posts could be more helpful to the discussion...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    You are an engineer, you are trained to sit in front of a computer, I am a photographer, I am trained to be out shooting and use photographic process, that is where we differ.

Also, I do a variety of searches before I conclude that I will buy something. But invariably, if we are actual photographers who are not at the computer a lot, we do find out some things a bit later than others and then more decisions have to be made as to either change products we have chosen or find a solution. In this case, by posting this thread that is not covered in this manner on this site in any historical thread I can find, the homework you think I am not doing is actually getting done.

I will post my solution here, most likely a combo of commando cloth, aluminum foil and or multi-layer mylar. That along with everyone else's posts will help to further educate and guide others who may do a search like I did.....in polite request, your posts could be more helpful to the discussion...

I didn't say I wasn't a trained photographer. I am. I am just not a professional one... by choice.

*L*

tim (NESOP 1986) in san jose

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    I am amused by your reactions to the Chamonix bellows and IR.

1.) He is at fault for not putting on his website a fact that affect 0.00134% of all photos taken by users of his cameras.
    2.) The number of professionals who use IR film is pretty small. So any solution would be just that, a solution. In photography school we didn't have a class for "Professional Solutions to weird problems".
    3.) If this is an issue you can't live with, either return the camera or get one of the fine bellows makers to make you a suitable solution bellows.
    4.) If you were truly professional, you would have done your homework.

Good luck.

tim in san jose

Exactly why does one need to be a professional to enjoy photography? Professional photography is close to prostitiution...I have around 30 modern view cameras and all of them are IR safe except my Chamonix. Engineering may keep you away from infrared photography but beautiful prints attract me to it..

P.S. I don't think professional photographers are Chamonix's market..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    I'm not your average professional photographer...;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Exactly why does one need to be a professional to enjoy photography? Professional photography is close to prostitiution...I have around 30 modern view cameras and all of them are IR safe except my Chamonix. Engineering may keep you away from infrared photography but beautiful prints attract me to it..

Who said you had to be a pro? I'm not. And being an engineer doesn't keep me away from IR... I just don't like it. I also don't like red filter photography nor Polaroid desecration photography. But if you do, fine. They all seem like the pursuit of the "artiste" of which I am not. I have no modern view cameras unless you count the early 70's Deardorff V8. I use a combination of 30 YO fuji lens with some Nikon process lens and old this and that. Most lens are set up in Packard shutters.

I have only bought two new cameras in my life, both 35mms. One was stolen, the other I still have 30 years later.

When I want beautiful prints I know how to get them, 100-125 speed film in a Pyro developer. Just because I am an engineer by profession don't mean I don't understand photographic process as has been alleged in this thread. Being an engineer gives me some advantages too. Like 70% of my processing equipment is home made.

But being a robotics engineer is kinda like prostitution also.

Whatever.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You threw the word "professional" into the mix, applying it as a standard of judgement...quote

"2.) The number of professionals who use IR film is pretty small. So any solution would be just that, a solution. In photography school we didn't have a class for "Professional Solutions to weird problems".
    3.) If this is an issue you can't live with, either return the camera or get one of the fine bellows makers to make you a suitable solution bellows.
    4.) If you were truly professional, you would have done your homework."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Guys......

Can we relax a bit? The questions were not do you like infrared in large format or do Pro's shoot infrared...right?

I'm doing a big book project that along with Techpan in 120, IR film is making a bit more interesting.
    I have done two shows that have seen good print sales. But when I started getting mural sized print requests that could pay for something like a new car, I decided adding 4x5 into the mix would not be a bad idea and might help overcome some of the issues of DOF with 6x6, I took the plunge.

We all learn from these threads, let's focus on that, ok?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    My wife bought a beautiful wood Wisner camera , part of the 120 made for Fred Picker. mint condition .. I happen to like printing large murals as well so this combination could be outright beautiful. I am interested in seeing some of the images.
    She has a huge collection of the Kodak infared images and this could be of great appeal to her.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin