Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,984   Online: 897

Shooter
    Multi Format

Graflex crown graphic range finder question.

Hi, I was able to obtain a nice crown graphic which has a rangefinder attached. I could not find much specific information about the range finder so i will ask here
    The rf looks ok, nice contrasty spot, but it appars to be uncoupled to the extension of the bellows. So when i pull out the bellow and focus on something about 3 m away the Rf is wrong. It does move when i use the focus knobs thats slide the bellows slightly back and forward. I am thinking the RF should also react to the position the bellows get locked in (although i may be wrong?). I have read that the Rf may be cams changed with different lens, but this looks like the original lens the camera came with(optar 12mm f/4.5).

Any help is much appreciated, and if you can add extra info about the use of the Rf it is very welcome. Thanks
    pentax 6x7,canon eos 300, crown graphic 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi ndp_2010

not sure if you know about graflex.org but there is a wealth of information about all things graphc/graflex there.
    i hope this helps : http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-adjustment.html
    explains exactly how to adjust your rangefinder for the lens you you have. it seems that whoever owned it before you
    must have used it with a longer lens ...
    with your camera, i think there is 1 cam, so you adjust the rangefinder for 1 lens.
    if you have other lenses ... you can use your bed's focus gauge and guestimate focus with that
    and fine focus with your ground glass ... some people have a handful of infinity stops, they
    know which ones to lock-up for whichever lens they are using ( as long as they are set for infinity with whatever lens they have on the camera

good luck !
    john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    35mm
    No, the rangefinder shouldn't do anything when you collapse or extend the bellows; it is only connected to the rail bed. All you are doing during that stage is getting the lens out to where the rangefinder can begin to function. If your camera is set up correctly, there will be infinity stops on the rails, to which you pull the front standard and then lock it down with the lever underneath. Then you use the focus knobs to focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which rangefinder... Top mounted or side mounted?

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin