Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,067   Online: 998

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A Beutiful Lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sent them an email, to see what they are willing to do about it.

I guess I use it as a paper weight, hadn't thought of that, but I was taking photos of it on a sheet of paper on the hood of my car, and I noticed that it kept the sheet of paper from blowing away.

I guess I am old fashioned, anything that affects the usability of what you are selling should be noted specifically in my mind. Personally, I think they should just toss defective items, it is not good business to pass problems on to your customers. I have had good luck with KEH in the past, but this is the first, and will be the last time I buy something from them with a rating of UG. I would point out that they would only have had to add one word to their listing to make the condition of this lens clear, "fungus". and I would not have bought it. That and "separation" are about the only problems with a camera that I do not feel competent to repair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If that is how you feel, then you should have bought a higher grade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bookmarked that list, thanks, Brian.

You guys really think something like this will not affect the image too badly?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fungus.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	51147

The problem with just trying it is that I do not at the moment have a lens board to fit it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd ask them if they'll accept it in exchange for a nicer lens. Whatever the outcome it's two lessons learned; 1. Be sure you understand what all terms mean, 2. Only gamble what you can afford to lose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old-N-Feeble, funny you should say that.

I was just thinking that my problem is I am spending what gamblers call scared money. What I spend on my hobbies basically is coming out of the food budget, I really no longer have any disposable income at all. Trouble is that without my hobbies I might just as well roll over and die, they are what keeps me interested in living. Like a lot of older people without family, the other choice is sit and watch television, and I can not stand television. Then our health often curtails our activities, I do not ride the bicycles much anymore, for example.

I keep buying things cheap then have to spend a lot of money fixing them up. If I had the cash up front, I would be much better off buying things in good shape, but then I would not have all the fun, if it can be called that, of fixing them.

I was also thinking about when I first bought something from KEH, and it has to have been back in 1981-82, because it was a grip for a Super Technika. The scary thing about fungi, to me, is that they are alive and they spread getting into more and more stuff. This, I think, is going into a zip lock baggy until its fate is decided one way or another.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    You might have a nice soft focus portrait lens!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    OhhHHHHhhh, that is a purdy lookin' fungi there. I'd just ask em to upgrade to the next level in exchange. Their policy is pretty damn straight forward.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf;1344314e
    What I spend on my hobbies basically is coming out of the food budget, I really no longer have any disposable income at all. Trouble is that without my hobbies I might just as well roll over and die, they are what keeps me interested in living. Like a lot of older people without family, the other choice is sit and watch television, and I can not stand television.
    Graywolf, what's your hobby? Acquiring photographic equipment or taking pictures? Taking pictures doesn't require much gear and I gather that you already have enough gear to take pictures.

Re new gear, I've pretty much stopped accumulating. Took inventory, found that I have more in working order than I can carry, not to mention use. And since my neighbor the Zeiss collector died I haven't had the devil whispering in my ear.

Y'know, you could read more. Walk more. Take up writing. Find a new hobby. Re that last, I find to my considerable surprise that in my retirement and second childhood I've taken on a translation project. Not what I'd ever expected to do and not very expensive, either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not look twice at a fungal-infection on a lens, anywhere on a lens. Fungus is a live organism. It will spread/etch over time, even a long period of time. Fungal spores released during removal are extremely hazardous to health; probably best to incinerate the lens. Sad but true.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    Old-N-Feeble, funny you should say that.

I was just thinking that my problem is I am spending what gamblers call scared money. What I spend on my hobbies basically is coming out of the food budget, I really no longer have any disposable income at all. Trouble is that without my hobbies I might just as well roll over and die, they are what keeps me interested in living. Like a lot of older people without family, the other choice is sit and watch television, and I can not stand television. Then our health often curtails our activities, I do not ride the bicycles much anymore, for example.

Me too, LOL!! I'm spending a lot more than I should on photo gear even though I should be selling instead. Getting old and watching TV? Nahh... get on the forums and BS with your forum buddies instead... more therapeutic and far more interesting.

I keep buying things cheap then have to spend a lot of money fixing them up. If I had the cash up front, I would be much better off buying things in good shape, but then I would not have all the fun, if it can be called that, of fixing them.

I used to think that way... then I got lazy.

I was also thinking about when I first bought something from KEH, and it has to have been back in 1981-82, because it was a grip for a Super Technika. The scary thing about fungi, to me, is that they are alive and they spread getting into more and more stuff. This, I think, is going into a zip lock baggy until its fate is decided one way or another.

Makes sense to me.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin