Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,384   Online: 920

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A Beutiful Lens

Shooter
    Multi Format

A Beutiful Lens

I ordered a 210/5.6 Symmar convertible lens from KEH. The price was relatively cheap, the rating was UG (ugly). I got it today, and it looks excellent plus.

Heard that story before? Wait, read the rest.

Upon closer examination, the shutter is running pretty darn slow, and there is fungus between the cemented pair on the rear element. Actually there are two of those pretty snowflake fungi in there. Now, to me, those do not make the lens ugly, they make it junk. I can do a CLA on the shutter, but what can I do about that fungus? Having lenses re-cemented is expensive, and no way to know if the fungus has etched the glass until they are separated.

Possibly, I could find another with a badly damage front element, would mixing and matching the elements even work? How close are they from the factory?

The question is what to do? Send it back for a refund? Try to use it as is? Try to find another rear element? Go rent a gun and blow my brains out? What? In any case, I am limited to low-budget solutions only.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    send it back.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 send it back, lens is expensive if not repairable.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    ...The question is what to do? Send it back for a refund? Try to use it as is? Try to find another rear element? Go rent a gun and blow my brains out? What? In any case, I am limited to low-budget solutions only.
    Send it back, bullets are expensive...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    "Ugly" Very rough looking. Multiple impressions in metal, excessive finish loss and brassing. Glass will have marks, fungus and/or haze which will affect picture quality.*

Taken directly from the keh site. They may accept a return but it will be because they are nice guys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't use a gun. Use a knife and sit in the tub. Make things easier for those you leave behind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. Try the lens and see if it really is useless junk. You may be surprised at how little effect those flaws have on your images. If you got it for a really good price, even the cost of a servicing might make it a very affordable and useful lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by iulian View Post
    "Ugly" Very rough looking. Multiple impressions in metal, excessive finish loss and brassing. Glass will have marks, fungus and/or haze which will affect picture quality.*

Taken directly from the keh site. They may accept a return but it will be because they are nice guys.
    They may say that somewhere, even after reading your post, I was not able to quickly find that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Brian; the defects on the lens may have surprisingly little effect on your images. Do a CLA on the shutter, and try the old UV fungus treatment on the rear element. I've not done it myself, but I have heard of people "curing" moderate cases of fungus by simply leaving the glass in full sun for a few hours. (or days)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    They may say that somewhere, even after reading your post, I was not able to quickly find that.
    http://www.keh.com/PopupGrade.aspx

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin