Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,685   Online: 1149

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the camera is 4x5 (as opposed to 3.25x4.25), it's a great find. Measure the size of the ground glass back.

Based on the vintage of the front standard and the newer shutter and what I can see of the metal shade on back, it's probably got the graflok back (which has spring loaded levers built into the back), which is also ideal. If the cloth shutter works, you can shoot about any lens on this, including a magnifying glass in a tp tube, indoors or out.

Cheapest way to play with it would be paper negatives. For low volume color, a fuji instant film back. For medium volume B&W: several holders in antistatic bags, a darkroom, box of quality film, negative pages, chemicals, enlarger or scanner, etc...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    If the camera is 4x5 (as opposed to 3.25x4.25), it's a great find. Measure the size of the ground glass back.

Based on the vintage of the front standard and the newer shutter and what I can see of the metal shade on back, it's probably got the graflok back (which has spring loaded levers built into the back), which is also ideal. If the cloth shutter works, you can shoot about any lens on this, including a magnifying glass in a tp tube, indoors or out.

Cheapest way to play with it would be paper negatives. For low volume color, a fuji instant film back. For medium volume B&W: several holders in antistatic bags, a darkroom, box of quality film, negative pages, chemicals, enlarger or scanner, etc...
    Uhm, I just measured the ground glass. The glass is 3.75" x 4.75". What does that mean? And, I do believe that the back on both is a Grafloc. I will post pics of everything I got soon...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That means you need 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" film which you can order from FreeStyle or Ilford. Ilford has a special run of custom cut film this time of year and the cutoff is in June. Check the Ilford site or Simon Galley here in APUG [also Simon.Galley@harmantechnology.com]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmmm.. I will have to look into the special film. I'm kind of sad it's not a 4x5... Is there any chance these would do 4x5 with a different back? Or could I still use 4x5 and just have a bit lost on the sides?

Attached are pics of the other camera I got, the back of this and the other are the same. And then the rest of the stuff that was in the trunk, too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB-9156.jpg   FB-9157.jpg   FB-9161.jpg   FB-9169.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The glass is 3.75" x 4.75
    That means you need 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" film
    Surely not.
    I think the ground glass on a 4x5 would be around the size the OP quoted.
    My Graphic Super is about that size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    Surely not.
    Sounds right. I can't imagine the ground glass being 1/2" oversized. More like slightly undersized for 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tryals15 View Post
    Turns out the film holder I have is for film packs -- evidently not what I needed...
    you can safely put that into the metal recycling bin. No film packs made any more.

film holders such as have been discussed are readily available. don't get confused by differences between "graflex" and "graphic" backs -- all 4 by 5 film holders sold today are for your camera unless someone specifically says they are for a "graflex" camera, but those are all more collectibles.

ct

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    you can safely put that into the metal recycling bin. No film packs made any more.
    Nooooo. Trade that thing to me for a film holder. The FPAs make great wetplate holders. And I use the metal from any old film packs to adjust the focal plane for the glass plates.

BTW, the 1234 film pack adapter is for 4x5 so if it fits your camera back, you have a 4x5 camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    Surely not.
    Agreed. The image area on a film is smaller than the actual film size. Actually, the film itself is smaller than it claims to be as it's specified in the size a glass plate would be but as originally film was put into metal holders (septums) to allow it to fit in glass plate holders, the film will be slightly smaller.

The measured size of 4.75 x 3.75 sounds just right for 5x4.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Agreed. The image area on a film is smaller than the actual film size. Actually, the film itself is smaller than it claims to be as it's specified in the size a glass plate would be but as originally film was put into metal holders (septums) to allow it to fit in glass plate holders, the film will be slightly smaller.

The measured size of 4.75 x 3.75 sounds just right for 5x4.

Steve.
    I like this conclusion better...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin